22240Re: Similuk/Samulak and Myroniuk Surnames

    Sep 2, 2008
      Tracie,

      Now since you are eager to learn and are reading all the great
      knowledge that is present on this forum, I'll add more fact for your
      brain. Kalyna is also used as a masculine first name. Ain't that
      great ;-) The masculine name was coined from the Greek masculine
      name Kallinikos, which means 'beautiful victory'. Those Greeks..they
      loved victories.

      The feminine name Kalyna probably just came from the Greek word
      kallimos, which means beautiful. Those Greeks..they love beautiful
      women.

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
      <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

      > Tracie,
      >
      > Zaluche (properly known as Zaluche nad Cheremoshem), Sniatyn,
      > Ivano-Frankivsk is a proper expression.
      >
      > nad Cheremoshem means "on the Cheremosh River". This is needed
      > because there is a Zaluche on the Prut River and a Zaluche near
      > Borschiv.
      >

      > Sniatyn is the raion (district). Ivano-Frankivsk is the
      province
      > ("state").
      >

      > Regarding Kalyna, yes that is her name..Aquilina would only
      appear
      > in her church baptismal record where Latin was mandatory. Sort of
      > like, for example, a John would only find Joannes in the church
      vital
      > record books and ask, "who is Joannes?"
      >

      > Regarding two Kalynas, when a newborn died (or a child just
      lived
      > for a few months) it was common to name the next child of the same
      > gender that name.
      >
      > _____
      >
      > Lavrentiy
      >

      > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "graphixkat"
      > <lasheskat@> wrote:
      > >
      > > First off I want to thank all of you who took the time to answer
      > me,
      > > I really appreciate it and the links are great.
      > >
      > > The name Kalyna really makes sense actually. According to the
      tree
      > > the lawyers had done the brother of my grgrandfather had two
      > Kalyna's
      > > as children, I think one must have died young. They seemed to
      name
      > > their children after other family members. Also, I found a death
      > > record in Windsor of a baby that died at birth or shortly after
      and
      > > the baby's parents are listed as Mike (Dymitri went by Michael)
      and
      > > Kallie Semeluk I was never sure if it was them but the baby's
      name
      > > was yet another handed down name so I really suspected it was
      > them.
      > > I have been using records online from all different sources,
      > > Ancestry, LDS (which I couldn't find much on the name
      derivatives)
      > > and every other place I can find by endless hours of searching.
      > > have even found some sites in other languages and make good use
      of
      > > online translators.
      > >
      > > I mistyped myself, the tree from the lawyer says Zalucha,
      Sniatyn,
      > > Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine for grgrandfather and brother...does
      that
      > > make more sense? I get a little confused trying to find villages
      > and
      > > such because I have run into that fact that some have a Polish
      > name,
      > > a Ukrainian name and a third name of which origin I am not sure.
      > >
      > > The Zalucze, Czerenosz (saw the C on closer inspection) is on a
      > > microfilm image of 1936 Detroit Border Crossing for Grandma
      Kate.
      > > have actually submitted alternate names and such for some of
      these
      > > records on Ancestry so if anyone else is looking for them they
      will
      > > find them. I found one 1930 census with the family and the name
      > was
      > > listed as Somaleck. I only found that reading for hours anything
      > > that looked possible.
      > >
      > > So the biggest problem is the multiple spellings of the last name
      > > which I why I sought help here. It's nice to hear from people
      with
      > > more knowledge than I that Semeluk is most probably the correct
      > one,
      > > at least before immigration. That actually helps a lot. The
      > > frustration has just made me want to scream..pick a name already
      > and
      > > stick with it!!
      > >
      > > So again thank you all. I am also glad I found this group and am
      > > very interested in learning from you. I have a lot of interest
      in
      > > that portion of my heritage and have found so many fascinating
      > things
      > > about that part of the world.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Tracie