      From: "Jim Onyschuk" <jodanji@...>
      To: <Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 10:41 AM
      Subject: RE: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Similuk/Samulak and Myroniuk Surnames

      If “race was always Ruthenian,” then they were Ukrainian.

      I find it interesting that your GGrandmother was born in Zalucze, Zeremosz,
      Poland, while your GGrandfather was born in Zaluczne, Sniatyn, Ukraine. A
      slight spelling difference. According to the Lenius “Genealogical Gazetteer
      of Galicia,” there is no Zaluczne associated with Sniatyn, there however is
      a “Zalucze. nad Czeremoszem” associated with Sniatyn. This is no doubt, the
      Zalucze, “Zeremosz” of your GGrandmother and it’s not in Poland.

      The trouble with transliterating from Cyrillic is the many variations one
      gets with the Roman alphabet.

      What Immigration Records were you referring to?

      The “uk” ending was usually found in Western Ukraine. An “ak” ending is a
      common Polish variant.

      Have you done your own search using the microfilms available through the
      LDS? There are a number of films that have recently become available for
      “Zalucze. nad Czeremoszem”.

      Here are excerpts from the Family History Library Catalogue.

      Regards,

      Jim Onyschuk

      http://www.onyschuk.com <http://www.onyschuk.com/>

      Http://www.torugg.org <http://www.torugg.org/>

      http://www.torugg.org/TUGG%20Projects/trip_to_ukraine.html

      Greek Catholic Church. Załucze nad Czeremoszem (Sniatyn) (Main Author)

      Notes
      Microreproduction of original manuscripts at the State Archives of
      Ivano-Frankivs′k Region, Ukraine.
      Greek Catholic Church records (births, marriages, deaths) in Załucze nad
      Czeremoszem (Sniatyn), Galizien, Austria; later Załucze nad Czeremoszem
      (Sniatyn), Stanisławów, Poland; now Horishnie Zaluchchia and Dolishnie
      Zaluchchia, Sniatyn, Ivano-Frankivs′k, Ukraine. Text in Latin, Ukrainian and
      Russian.
      Record group 631, series 1, files 521-523, 536-538.

      on 3 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.

      Film Notes
      Note - Location [Film]
      Volume 631-1/521 Births 1902-1906 (Horishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL Film
      [ 1696908 Item 6 ]
      Volume 631-1/521 (cont.) Births 1906-1923 (Horishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL
      Film [ 1696909 Item 1 ]
      Volume 631-1/522 Marriages 1882-1920 (Horishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL Film
      [ 1696909 Item 2 ]
      Volume 631-1/523 Deaths 1883-1914 (Horishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL Film
      [ 1696909 Item 3 ]
      Volume 631-1/536 Births 1868-1886 (Dolishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL Film
      [ 1696788 Item 2 ]
      Volume 631-1/537 Births 1887-1902 (Dolishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL Film
      [ 1696788 Item 3 ]
      Volume 631-1/538 Deaths 1859-1883 (Dolishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL Film
      [ 1696788 Item 4 ]

      _____