2104Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Ending Ski, Sky

    Sep 2, 2004
      Hello Judith,

      Polish orthography does not allow a y to follow a k, thus Polish
      surnames of the form that you are discussing end as -ski and never
      -skyi. However, you'll find Uke's in America (US and Canada) with
      surname endings as -ski because that is how their name was spelled in
      Europe while Ukes were in Poland(and they didn't want to change the
      spelling to sky).