14330Re: Freeancestry.com shut down by legal threats

  • Dennis Benarz
    May 1, 2007
      Hi Nick

      The Generations Network now controls a stable of "dot coms"
      associated with genealogy and family history: MyFamily.com,
      Ancestry.com, Genealogy.com, and Rootsweb.com. Plus, they own
      FamilyTreeMaker software and operate OneWorldTree. If we extend your
      view to the Nth degree, eventually no one will be able to
      discuss "family", "ancestry", "genealogy", "roots", and "trees"
      online without prior permission and/or paying royalties and fees.

      There is nothing wrong with seeking a profit per se. There is
      something inherently wrong with a big company seeking to become a
      monopoly so that everyone will be forced to pay for things which were
      once free. It is my view that our history and heritage are our
      birthrights and not commercial commodities to be bought and sold.

      In the words of Tim Sullivan, the company's CEO and president: "The
      Generations Network has a powerful mission..." That mission would
      appear to include becoming the sole (for profit) online source of
      genealogical information by buying out the competition and by
      intimidating the little guys who give it away for free. I applaud the
      efforts of the "little guys" - like Matt Bielawa of HalGal and Don
      Szumowski of PolishRoots - for continuing to provide free online
      access to our history and heritage. Some years ago, in order to avoid
      potential hassles with the "big guys", I selected a Polish word
      meaning heritage or connection as the web name for the free
      information that our research group provides online. The world is
      sick with profit-takers; it needs a big dose of cordial, free, Slavic
      hospitality. And this group, among others, helps provide that

      I wonder if Tim Sullivan is aware that power corrupts and absolute
      power corrupts absolutely. Perhaps he knows but doesn't care.

      I think that "free" has a lot to do with it, Nick. My views. Sue me.

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Nick Bulka <nick@...>
      > Nothing personal Dennis, but I think it's unlikely that the
      word "free"
      > has anything to do with this.
      > This is almost certainly about protecting a business trademark,
      which is
      > very valuable, and very expensive to establish.
      > Ancestry.com has every right to protect their holdings, and it's
      > heavy-handed, it's the law.
      > Stealing is stealing, and those that steal should get what they
      > Ancestry.com is a business. They care about profit. Why is that a
      > thing?
      > -nick
      > Dennis Benarz wrote:
      > > It appears that the folks who run Ancestry.com have an aversion
      > > anything associating them with the concept of "free". Some folks
      > > some genealogists) are chiefly motivated by profit.
      > >
      > > Here's another old local proverb from Debica: "(He) whose hands
      > > light is unprofitable". How true! In this matter, Ancestry.com is
      > > both heavy-handed and very profitable.
      > >
      > > I keep telling you, Lavrentiy, to call yourself a family
      > > rather than a genealogist. The upside is that, as a family
      > > you'll sleep easier at night, wake up more refreshed, and live
      > > longer. The downside is that we family historians are all as poor
      > > church mice. But we're very happy, personally fulfilled church
      > >
      > > Ciao, amigo!
      > >
      > > Dennis
      > >

      > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak
      > > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
      > >

      > >> Freeonancestry.com is now off line because of legal threats.
      > >> There is a note about why at:
      > >>
      > >> http://www.interment.net/freeonancestry.htm
      > >>

      > >> Anybody knowledgeable who can explain what's up?
      > >>

      > >> Here's freeancestry.com:
      > >>

      > >> http://www.freeancestry.com/
      > >>
      > >> ________
      > >>
      > >> Lavrentiy