10592Re: Surnames Krudzo / Kukurudzo

    Aug 1, 2006
      Hello Fred, and John Z.,

      Great English-Polish dictionary has that maize is kukurydza and
      that corn has several entries: zboz~e, (w Anglii) pszenica, (w
      Ameryce Pln) kukurydza, (w Szkocji i Irlandi) owies.

      Sweet-corn is sl~odka kukurydza.

      I need to take a break.....it's 105 degrees now in the DC area.
      My brain is melting.

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "wfhoffman"
      <WFHoffman@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Lavrentiy wrote:
      >
      > > kukurudz is the cone of a coniferous tree.
      > >
      > > kukurudza is maize/corn/Indian corn/wheat.
      > >
      > > I'm not sure which word the surname Kukurudza is based on. Fred,
      > > can you help? Was corn present in eastern Europe for a surname to
      > > be based on corn?
      >
      > Prof. Rymut's book on Polish surnames says the surname KUKURYDZA
      comes from
      > the noun _kukurydza_, also seen as _kukurudza_ and _kukuruza_, "a
      cereal
      > plant of the grass family." As for the identity of this plant,
      Aleksander
      > Brueckner's _Slownik etymologivzny jezyka polskiego_ [Etymological
      > dictionary of the Polish language] says _kukurudza_ is "an American
      plant,
      > cultivated early on in the East, especially in the countries on the
      Danube;
      > the name (which is repeated in Hungarian, Romanian, Turkish) may
      come from
      > the dialect of the Southern Slavs and can perhaps be compared with
      similar
      > words of ours, such as _kokorycz_ [coridalis], _kokornak_
      [birthwort], for
      > hairy plants."
      >
      > By the way I'm sure "hairy plants" isn't quite the right
      translation for
      > _rosliny uwlosione_, but I don't know what the technical term is
      for the
      > fine, hairlike fibers of corn. We call them "silk," but translating
      _rosliny
      > uwlosione_ as "silky plants" doesn't seem like an improvement! In
      any case,
      > the reference is to plants that feature fine hairlike fibers, such
      as corn
      > silk.
      >
      > I'm no expert on plants; early on I learned I was allergic to most
      of them,
      > so I avoid contact with them, except in salads. But apparently
      maize or
      > corn -- what Americans call corn, not the British usage, which
      includes
      > various cereal grains such as wheat and oats -- was brought to
      Europe from
      > the Americas fairly early on, and was grown in eastern and
      southeastern
      > Europe. I know it can be dicey relying on Wikipedia entries, but
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize says corn came to Europe in the
      late 15th
      > and early 16th centuries. Surnames were being established in Poland
      all the
      > way up to the 18th and even 19th centuries, so it's certainly
      plausible the
      > name KUKURYDZA could have referred to "the corn guy." Maybe he grew
      it,
      > maybe he sold it, maybe he loved to eat it -- but it seems clear
      the
      > reference is to what Americans call corn.
      >
      > That's the best info I could find, anyway.
      >
      > Fred Hoffman
      > Author, _Polish Surnames: Origins & Meanings_

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic