10589Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: Surnames Krudzo / Kukurudzo

  • John T. Zubal
    Aug 1, 2006
      Larry:

      We in the USA use the term "corn" to mean simply that: what we also
      call sweet corn which grows on tall stalks, two or three ears to a
      stalk. In many parts of the rest of the world, "corn" is used in a
      broader sense to include, for example, wheat, rye, barley, and other
      grassy plants that produce seeds. Put another way, what we call
      "corn" is known in other parts of the world as "MAIZE."

      QED, the Ukrainian name KUKURUDZA probably denotes what we would call
      a grain farmer or grain cultivator, one who grows wheat or rye or
      oats, perhaps long before MAIZE was introduced into East Central Europe.

      It happens that KUKURUDZA was my mother's family's name.

      regards

      John Zubal