10588Re: Surnames Krudzo / Kukurudzo

    Aug 1, 2006
      More BTWs:

      kukurudz is the cone of a coniferous tree.

      kukurudza is maize/corn/Indian corn/wheat.

      I'm not sure which word the surname Kukurudza is based on. Fred,
      can you help? Was corn present in eastern Europe for a surname to
      be based on corn?

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Judie Hawryluk
      <jahawryluk@...> wrote:

      > Just a tidbit: "Kukurudza" translates to "corn" in english. We
      know of a Bohdan Kukurudza who lives in Chicago (don't have his
      address..) ... who once introduced himself as Mr. Corn at a
      Ukrainian convention... Judie

      family. I was told that there was a book on the early settlers in
      Manitoba. I would like to know if it includes the town in Galicia
      where they came from? On the 1906 and 1911 census for Manitoba
      (Dauphin) the name was Kukurudza later changed to Krudzo. If someone
      has access to the book and could do a lookup I would be most
      appreciative. If I have the title I could check my library and see if
      it is on loan.

      > Thank you so much for your help.
      >
      > Irene
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic