Gait Descriptions

  • Judy Ryder
    Message 1 of 16 , May 10, 2003
      There is an article describing some of the gaits here:
      http://www.finographics.com/horses/trainingtips.html

      (scroll down past the links for the gait article)

      Judy
      http://icehorses.net
      http://clickryder.com
    • Lee Z
      Message 2 of 16 , May 10, 2003
        >>There is an article describing some of the gaits here:
        http://www.finographics.com/horses/trainingtips.html

        (scroll down past the links for the gait article)

        Judy<,

        As this starts out saying that a running walk is a broken pace, the validity
        of the rest of the gait descriptions can rightly be put in question.

        The rack description is faulty (no rack is done with only one foot on the
        ground at a time, no gait is done with only one hoof on the ground at a
        time) The rack is a gait of its own, not a fast stepping pace, although it
        is true that horses doing a fast stepping pace are sometimes (erroneously)
        described as doing a rack.

        The confusion of terms between pasitrote and trocha is also a problem. I
        prefer the clearer description of the dromographs in De Ascasubi's work.

        And finally, there is no such thing as a lateral and also isochronal gait,
        unless one wishes to go into pick up of hooves (timing between hooves on one
        side as they leave the ground) and then set down. This author does not seem
        to do that. Nor into sequence. If the gait is lateral it is lateral in set
        down, and by definition, not isochronal.

        So, perhaps the "multiple unknown Authors" were at fault in their gait
        descriptions, analysis and ability to convey what they thought they were
        saying.

        I strongly suggest anyone who is interested in this stuff to read Dr.
        Milton Hildebrand's article on gait analysis -- anyone who wants a copy,
        contact me and I will send one.

        Lee Z
      • WindWalkerTWHs
        Message 3 of 16 , May 10, 2003
          As a history buff, I couldn't get past the first paragraph that states that all gaits originated from the Spanish Palfrey....Somebody hasn't read about the Courser of Naples, the Hobby of Ireland, the Flemish Roile, and the Scottish Nag. At no time did Spain have a monopoly on gaited horses (according to the history books I've read). The first gaiteds to reach America came from England. The Spaniards landed in the islands south of America, South America, and slowly moved north up through Mexico and eventually Cuba and Florida. By that time the Naragansett and Canadian Pacers were great in number in Eastern America and were of Scottish, English, and Irish bloodlines. If anyone has a history book with different information, I'd LOVE to see it!
          Lu Ann

          >>There is an article describing some of the gaits here:
          http://www.finographics.com/horses/trainingtips.html

          (scroll down past the links for the gait article)

          Judy<,

          As this starts out saying that a running walk is a broken pace, the validity
          of the rest of the gait descriptions can rightly be put in question.
          <snipped>
          Lee Z

        • kaphillips129@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , May 14, 2003
            Hi Lee,

            I would like to take you up on your offer.

            Thanks,

            Karen P.
          • Lee Z
            Message 5 of 16 , May 15, 2003
              >>I would like to take you up on your offer.

              Thanks,

              Karen P.<<

              Which offer?

              Lee (confused)
            • Judy Ryder
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11 2:37 PM
              • Elva
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 13 9:57 PM
                  Judy Ryder wrote:
                  > Here are some gait descriptions of walk, trot, pace, and canter:
                  > http://gaited-horse.blogspot.com/2008/06/horse-gait-descriptions.html

                  Gosh, that was very nicely done, good explanations and nice photography.

                  --
                  Elva
                • Mark and Judy Meadows
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 14 11:36 AM
                    At 11:57 PM 6/13/2008, you wrote:

                    >Judy Ryder wrote:
                    > > Here are some gait descriptions of walk, trot, pace, and canter:
                    > >
                    > <http://gaited-horse.blogspot.com/2008/06/horse-gait-descriptions.html>http://gaited-horse.blogspot.com/2008/06/horse-gait-descriptions.html
                    >
                    >Gosh, that was very nicely done, good explanations and nice photography.

                    Yes, it was well done, but there was one thing amiss. At 3:00
                    minutes into the video the narrator begins to discuss the footfall of
                    the canter. She says, "This horse is on its left lead, whereby left
                    hind, left front and right hind all go together and the left front is
                    separate."

                    Now, that doesn't make sense. I guess she meant that the left hind,
                    right front and right hand go together. However, the canter is a
                    three beat gait. On the left lead, the right hind hits first,
                    followed by the right fore and left hind together and ending with the
                    left front, to make the three beats. The narrator says that three of
                    the legs go all together.....

                    I didn't know about the point of rotation changing from the hip to
                    the lumbar-sacral joint giving the back leg more effective limb
                    length, apparently allowing a longer stride. That makes sense and is
                    very interesting. This gal explains things very clearly.

                    Judy in SW MO

                  • Judy Ryder
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 14 12:11 PM
                      http://gaited-horse.blogspot.com/2008/06/horse-gait-descriptions.html

                      >>"This horse is on its left lead, whereby left hind, left front and right
                      >>hind all go together and the left front is separate."
                      >
                      > guess she meant that the left hind,
                      > right front and right hand go together. However, the canter is a
                      > three beat gait. On the left lead, the right hind hits first,
                      > followed by the right fore and left hind together and ending with the
                      > left front, to make the three beats. The narrator says that three of
                      > the legs go all together.....

                      Yes, interesting.

                      Maybe we should get some good videos, close up, of canter so that we can
                      study it. Anyone game?

                      Judy
                      http://iceryder.net
                      http://clickryder.com
                    • Amber B
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 14 1:50 PM
                        On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Judy Ryder <ice.horse@...> wrote:

                        > Maybe we should get some good videos, close up, of canter so that we can
                        > study it. Anyone game?
                        >
                        > Judy
                        > http://iceryder.net
                        > http://clickryder.com

                        No video, but plenty of clear, close-up photos.

                        Here's 4 showing a right lead canter where you can see the left hind
                        and right front are together, and the right hind isn't.

                        http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/kitty_5150/?action=view¤t=2008_0612girls0117.jpg
                        http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/kitty_5150/?action=view¤t=2008_0602baloons0154.jpg
                        http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/kitty_5150/?action=view¤t=2008_0519tuesday0056.jpg
                        http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/kitty_5150/?action=view¤t=2008_0519tuesday0035.jpg

                        (note - the black mare has blue polos on the right and pink on the left)

                        Moving out of the canter and into a hand-gallop - the diagonal pair is
                        starting to split, but is only a split second off-
                        http://image52.webshots.com/652/2/80/31/2715280310100167444BfMjYK_fs.jpg

                        another gallop pic, but you can tell the off-hind isn't moving with
                        the near hind and off-fore-
                        http://image63.webshots.com/663/4/96/86/2562496860100167444IbwGbU_fs.jpg

                        --
                        -Amber
                      • Lili Hakanson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 14 6:12 PM
                          > Now, that doesn't make sense. I guess she meant that the left hind,
                          > right front and right hand go together. However, the canter is a
                          > three beat gait.

                          I noticed that, too...her description would make it a 2 beat (funny!) gait.
                          There is a moment when those three legs are all weight-bearing (sending
                          Judy a pic of my "old" mare in that phase), but they have not all set down
                          at the same time...

                          Lili
                        • Judy Ryder
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 14 9:50 PM
                            >> Now, that doesn't make sense. I guess she meant that the left hind,
                            >> right front and right hand go together. However, the canter is a
                            >> three beat gait.
                            >
                            > I noticed that, too...her description would make it a 2 beat (funny!)
                            > gait.
                            > There is a moment when those three legs are all weight-bearing (sending
                            > Judy a pic of my "old" mare in that phase), but they have not all set down
                            > at the same time...

                            Here's Lili's picture:

                            http://gaited-horse.blogspot.com/2008/06/canter.html

                            Judy
                            http://iceryder.net
                            http://clickryder.com
                          • Susan Oliver
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 15 6:14 PM
                              Enjoyed the video and all the pix, I'd have never picked up on the narrators error though.  By the way Lilly is stunning.  May have spelled that wrong, it's been a lo-ong day.  Good but, long.
                               Susan
                              WWW.MirageCardigans.com

                            • Elva
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 15 6:33 PM
                                Mark and Judy Meadows wrote:
                                > Yes, it was well done, but there was one thing amiss. At 3:00
                                > minutes into the video the narrator begins to discuss the footfall of
                                > the canter. She says, "This horse is on its left lead, whereby left
                                > hind, left front and right hind all go together and the left front
                                > is separate."

                                Hahaha....good catch Judy. I was so busy watching the legs that I think
                                I put my own words/thoughts in there.
                                --
                                Elva
                              • Elva
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 15 6:40 PM
                                  Amber B wrote:
                                  > No video, but plenty of clear, close-up photos.

                                  Very nice photos Amber - thanks for sending those.
                                  --
                                  Elva
                                • Lili Hakanson
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 15 6:56 PM
                                    > By the way Lilly is stunning.

                                    Don't know if you are talking about my picture - the black horse? Lili is
                                    my name - the horse is Kimber (Morgan mare, 18 at the time)...sure don't
                                    think I'm the stunning one *bg*

                                    Lili