Sylvania Central info

  • otisb2
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2008
      Hello everyone! My name is Bryan and I am 28 years old. I learned
      about a year ago that my home town of Sylvania, GA actually had a
      railroad named after it- The Sylvania Central. I have decided to model
      this railroad in HO scale with 2nd generation diesels even though the
      prototype never made it to that point. I noticed also that the picture
      on this yahoo group is the Locomotive that was used SC 103. I have a
      few facts about this railroad I've dig up. Most railroads had
      timetables, even though this line made have ran from Sylvania to Rocky
      Ford, I was wondering if any of you had pictures or a timetable if one
      existed. Thanks for your time!

      Bryan
    • Donnie Hensley
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2008
        Bryan
        I have an employee timetable for this road somewhere, I'll scan it and
        upload it t the group files sometime this week.
        Don

        > Hello everyone! My name is Bryan and I am 28 years old. I learned
        > about a year ago that my home town of Sylvania, GA actually had a
        > railroad named after it- The Sylvania Central. I have decided to model
        > this railroad in HO scale with 2nd generation diesels even though the
        > prototype never made it to that point. I noticed also that the picture
        > on this yahoo group is the Locomotive that was used SC 103. I have a
        > few facts about this railroad I've dig up. Most railroads had
        > timetables, even though this line made have ran from Sylvania to Rocky
        > Ford, I was wondering if any of you had pictures or a timetable if one
        > existed. Thanks for your time!
        >
        > Bryan
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • bill davis

          > Hello everyone! My name is Bryan and I am 28 years old. I learned
          > about a year ago that my home town of Sylvania, GA actually had a
          > railroad named after it- The Sylvania Central. I have decided to model
          > this railroad in HO scale with 2nd generation diesels even though the
          > prototype never made it to that point. I noticed also that the picture
          > on this yahoo group is the Locomotive that was used SC 103. I have a
          > few facts about this railroad I've dig up. Most railroads had
          > timetables, even though this line made have ran from Sylvania to Rocky
          > Ford, I was wondering if any of you had pictures or a timetable if one
          > existed. Thanks for your time!
          >
          > Bryan
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Wallace Steinbrecher
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
            Bryan et al:

            As you develop your plan for the layout, if you need any "on the
            ground" photos or such in the Sylvania area, let me know. I live
            fairly close by (in Jesup) so it'll make for an easy trip.

            Wallace

            --- In GaRRHistory@yahoogroups.com, bill davis <billcheri72@...>
            wrote:

            > Bryan,
            > You also might check out http://railga.com/sylcen.html for some
            mays etc,
            > BILL
            >
            > Donnie Hensley <taplines@...> wrote:
            Bryan
            > I have an employee timetable for this road somewhere, I'll scan it
            and
            > upload it t the group files sometime this week.
            > Don

            Try it now.

          • Conrad Cheatham
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
              Bryan,
                 There is a history of the county that Sylvania is located in that has some information on the SC. Check the library there and with the local historical society.
              Conrad Cheatham

              otisb2 <otisb2@...> wrote:
              Hello everyone! My name is Bryan and I am 28 years old. I learned
              about a year ago that my home town of Sylvania, GA actually had a
              railroad named after it- The Sylvania Central. I have decided to model
              this railroad in HO scale with 2nd generation diesels even though the
              prototype never made it to that point. I noticed also that the picture
              on this yahoo group is the Locomotive that was used SC 103. I have a
              few facts about this railroad I've dig up. Most railroads had
              timetables, even though this line made have ran from Sylvania to Rocky
              Ford, I was wondering if any of you had pictures or a timetable if one
              existed. Thanks for your time!

              Bryan

            • Bob Yarger
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
                Note that Sylvania Central 4-6-0 103 can be seen at
                the museum in Savannah.

                --- Conrad Cheatham <okete12000@...> wrote:

                > Bryan,
                > There is a history of the county that Sylvania is
                > located in that has some information on the SC.
                > Check the library there and with the local
                > historical society.
                > Conrad Cheatham
                >
                > otisb2 <otisb2@...> wrote:
                > Hello everyone! My name is Bryan and I am
                > 28 years old. I learned
                > about a year ago that my home town of Sylvania, GA
                > actually had a
                > railroad named after it- The Sylvania Central. I
                > have decided to model
                > this railroad in HO scale with 2nd generation
                > diesels even though the
                > prototype never made it to that point. I noticed
                > also that the picture
                > on this yahoo group is the Locomotive that was used
                > SC 103. I have a
                > few facts about this railroad I've dig up. Most
                > railroads had
                > timetables, even though this line made have ran
                > from Sylvania to Rocky
                > Ford, I was wondering if any of you had pictures or
                > a timetable if one
                > existed. Thanks for your time!
                >
                > Bryan

                Bob Yarger
                Railway Preservation News (free website)
                www.rypn.org

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Douglas van Veelen
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
                  Hi Bryan,

                  When I was writing my Gainesville Midland book, I was considering
                  writing several books on the various short lines in Georgia. To that
                  end, I had done some research into many lines in GA. I later found out
                  that the Hartwell and several others were having books written and I
                  got distracted to start saving the Official Guides and Equipment
                  Registers on CD.

                  I went back into my notes and found the following:

                  The original railroad was the Sylvania Railroad. Chartered on January
                  3, 1884.It was completed by April of 1885.

                  In 1903, the railroad was reorganized to the Sylvania Railway. The
                  line was leased to the Sylvania Central Railroad (wholy owned by CofG) .

                  Between 1906 and 1915, the CofG sub-leased the line to the Sylvania
                  and Girard Railroad Company.

                  In 1915, the Sylvania Central RR was reorganize to be the Sylvania
                  Central Rwy to take over operations.

                  Between 1935 and 1944, the line was leased to the Sylvania Railway
                  Company.

                  CofG abandoned the line on March 27, 1954.

                  In the December 1918 ORER, the Sylvania Central RR had two locomotives
                  and two coaches.

                  I hope this helps.

                  Doug vV

                  --- In GaRRHistory@yahoogroups.com, Conrad Cheatham <okete12000@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Bryan,
                  > There is a history of the county that Sylvania is located in that
                  has some information on the SC. Check the library there and with the
                  local historical society.
                  > Conrad Cheatham
                  >
                  > otisb2 <otisb2@...> wrote: Hello
                  everyone! My name is Bryan and I am 28 years old. I learned
                  > about a year ago that my home town of Sylvania, GA actually had a
                  > railroad named after it- The Sylvania Central. I have decided to model
                  > this railroad in HO scale with 2nd generation diesels even though the
                  > prototype never made it to that point. I noticed also that the picture
                  > on this yahoo group is the Locomotive that was used SC 103. I have a
                  > few facts about this railroad I've dig up. Most railroads had
                  > timetables, even though this line made have ran from Sylvania to Rocky
                  > Ford, I was wondering if any of you had pictures or a timetable if one
                  > existed. Thanks for your time!
                  >
                  > Bryan

                • otisb2
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
                    WOW, thank you all for the very helpful tips and where to find
                    information and sharing your knowledge of this railroad. I have a
                    couple of locomotives in the paint scheme I've chosen, I could upload
                    them in the photos. once again thanks, Bryan

                    -- In GaRRHistory@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas van Veelen"
                    <douglasvanveelen@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Bryan,
                    >
                    > When I was writing my Gainesville Midland book, I was considering
                    > writing several books on the various short lines in Georgia. To that
                    > end, I had done some research into many lines in GA. I later found out
                    > that the Hartwell and several others were having books written and I
                    > got distracted to start saving the Official Guides and Equipment
                    > Registers on CD.
                    >
                    > I went back into my notes and found the following:
                    >
                    > The original railroad was the Sylvania Railroad. Chartered on January
                    > 3, 1884.It was completed by April of 1885.
                    >
                    > In 1903, the railroad was reorganized to the Sylvania Railway. The
                    > line was leased to the Sylvania Central Railroad (wholy owned by CofG) .
                    >
                    > Between 1906 and 1915, the CofG sub-leased the line to the Sylvania
                    > and Girard Railroad Company.
                    >
                    > In 1915, the Sylvania Central RR was reorganize to be the Sylvania
                    > Central Rwy to take over operations.
                    >
                    > Between 1935 and 1944, the line was leased to the Sylvania Railway
                    > Company.
                    >
                    > CofG abandoned the line on March 27, 1954.
                    >
                    > In the December 1918 ORER, the Sylvania Central RR had two locomotives
                    > and two coaches.
                    >
                    > I hope this helps.
                    >
                    > Doug vV
                    >

                    > --- In GaRRHistory@yahoogroups.com, Conrad Cheatham <okete12000@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Bryan,
                    > > There is a history of the county that Sylvania is located in that
                    > has some information on the SC. Check the library there and with the
                    > local historical society.
                    > > Conrad Cheatham
                    > >
                    > > otisb2 <otisb2@> wrote: Hello
                    > everyone! My name is Bryan and I am 28 years old. I learned
                    > > about a year ago that my home town of Sylvania, GA actually had a
                    > > railroad named after it- The Sylvania Central. I have decided to
                    model
                    > > this railroad in HO scale with 2nd generation diesels even though the
                    > > prototype never made it to that point. I noticed also that the
                    picture
                    > > on this yahoo group is the Locomotive that was used SC 103. I have a
                    > > few facts about this railroad I've dig up. Most railroads had
                    > > timetables, even though this line made have ran from Sylvania to
                    Rocky
                    > > Ford, I was wondering if any of you had pictures or a timetable
                    if one
                    > > existed. Thanks for your time!
                    > >
                    > > Bryan

                  • ALLEN STANLEY
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
                      Hundman Publications had a book called I think "Slow
                      Trains Down South Daily Cept Sunday". I think the Ga
                      shortlines were covered in Vol I. Pricy at about 65$
                      as I remember but a beautiful book full of photos. One
                      of those roads motto was I think "We're always on time
                      if you don't mind waitin a bit".

                      The old split combines appear to be pretty easy
                      kitbashes from some Model Power cars, a coach and a
                      baggage car. Would need to detail them out, but even
                      the trucks appear to be close. I have a couple stuck
                      back to work on one day.

                      Allen Stanley
                      Greer, SC

                      Be a better friend, newshound, and
                    • bill davis
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
                        Allen and the rest,
                        Those are exceptional books. A must for southeastern shortline railroads. Georgia is cover in volume 2.
                        Another must have book is "Georgia Short Line Album" by Albert M. Langley,Jr.
                        BILL

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
                          There will be a train show in atlanta next weekend, I'll try to
                          remember to be on the lookout for those books and a few timetables.
                          Thanks,

                          Bryan

                          --- In GaRRHistory@yahoogroups.com, bill davis <billcheri72@...> wrote:

                          > Allen and the rest,
                          > Those are exceptional books. A must for southeastern shortline
                          railroads. Georgia is cover in volume 2.
                          > Another must have book is "Georgia Short Line Album" by Albert M.
                          Langley,Jr.
                          > BILL
                          >
                          > ALLEN STANLEY <raildata@...> wrote:
                          Hundman Publications had a book called I think "Slow
                          > Trains Down South Daily Cept Sunday". I think the Ga
                          > shortlines were covered in Vol I. Pricy at about 65$
                          > as I remember but a beautiful book full of photos. One
                          > of those roads motto was I think "We're always on time
                          > if you don't mind waitin a bit".
                          >
                          > The old split combines appear to be pretty easy
                          > kitbashes from some Model Power cars, a coach and a
                          > baggage car. Would need to detail them out, but even
                          > the trucks appear to be close. I have a couple stuck
                          > back to work on one day.
                          >
                          > Allen Stanley
                          > Greer, SC

                          > Be a better friend, newshound, and