10848Re: [GTh] Bauckham on Numerical Composition in GJn

  • David Hindley
    Mar 19, 2014

      Like much that we read on Wiki, the info I passed on below was not necessarily correct.

      I found that some very old NT papyri of Revelation represented Digamma (6) with the symbol Ϛ. The same symbol was apparently used for the numeral 6, at least on coins. On coins, the old Semitic letter form for Digamma, Ϝ, was not used. I was not able to determine whether the symbol Ϝ was used for the number 6 in literary texts. For sure Ϛ was.

      Apparently the symbol Ϛ was also adopted as a ligature for the two Greek minuscule letters "στ" (sigma tau) by scribes of Greek minuscule manuscripts (started 9th - 10th century CE) as well as by publishers of early printed Greek texts.

      I am not sure that the font Ϛ used for the number 6 in early (uncial) literary texts was actually called "stigma" in those days. Before the invention of the ligature for sigma-tau in Greek minuscule manuscripts I think it was just called "Digamma."

      This means that any numerical meaning associated with the letters sigma & tau in conjunction is a bit anachronistic.

      Dave Hindley