      Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2014 6:29 PM
      Subject: Re: [GTh] Bauckham on Numerical Composition in GJn

      [Jack writes:]
      > ... I did not claim that gematria and formulaic writing in antiquity
      is devoid of merit.
      >  My point was that some of this, like the example of isopsephia I
      mentioned, is tomfoolery.

      There may be a problem with the definition of 'isopsephy' that I gave some time back,
      but for the moment, let's look at the example you gave:

      > One site takes TO AGION PNEUMA and breaks it down to 1080 X 666 X
      88  handlengths
      > which is 7,912.08 miles which is the diameter of the earth. ....
      It’s total tomfoolery.

      [leaving out the reference to a Hebrew(?) word the relevance of which isn't obvious]

      Unfortunately, it isn't clear what's going on here. To start with, the three numbers
      aren't the values of the three words. To my offhand reckoning, the values of the
      three words are 370, 134, and 596 - which makes for a nice sum of 1000, but
      nowhere near the numbers quoted. Since the diameter of the earth enters into
      it somehow, it looks like a modern-day piece of tomfoolery, not something that
      a scholar would attribute to ancient sources. But we do need a link so that the
      rest of us can look at the details of the example for ourselves.

      Mike G.