Re: [GTD_PPC] GTD using PhatNotes.

  • Keith Russell
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2004
      --On Tuesday, August 10, 2004 8:01 PM -0700 Philip B <philb2kus@...>
      wrote:

      > I've recently come back to PPC from Palm and am going
      > to implement GTD using PhatNotes (formerly HPCNotes)
      > by Phatware....I'll keep you posted.

      Philip? Are you there? How about a report?

      --
      Keith
    • Elaine Robinson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2004
        I'm just curious what advantage that something other than my task list gets
        me when implementing GTD? I don't see the point but am open to learning what
        works for others.

        Thanks,
        Elaine

        > I've recently come back to PPC from Palm and am going to implement GTD
        > using PhatNotes (formerly HPCNotes) by Phatware....I'll keep you
        > posted.

        Philip? Are you there? How about a report?

        --
        Keith

      • shannon stanley
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
          I am just beginning to implement to GTD methodology,
          but have found that it really depends where you
          process your email. GTD works great when you process
          from your PC but since you don't have the menus
          available on your pocket PC, it makes it more
          difficult to process. I have started using pocket
          informant in attempts to process from my pocket pc.
          This way I can tie my notes,calender and contacts to
          tasks but still find the email tie non-existant. Is
          anyone else experiencing similar situations?

          Elaine Robinson <elaine@...> wrote:

          > I'm just curious what advantage that something other
          > than my task list gets
          > me when implementing GTD? I don't see the point but
          > am open to learning what
          > works for others.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Elaine

          http://vote.yahoo.com
        • Philip B
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2004
            Here we go, finally - its a bit rushed(!!) I've been
            using Phatnotes for a little while now and I have to
            say that its working well for me. What drew me to the
            application initially is the ability to link notes
            together, (that and I am using Lotus Notes at work -
            see below). So I can link my Next Actions to my
            Projects. This link will show up in a little window at
            the bottom of the item that you are working on either
            on the desktop or PPC which is nice. I also enjoy the
            ability to use formatting, color, bold etc in the note
            field of the item. I Enter notes and next actions
            into the note item and as the NAs are completed I
            cross them out using strikethrough. Phatnotes has
            alarms so that you can set reminders, another strong
            plus for me. You can also change the colors of the
            notes so that if for example, you want to work from a
            daily todo list, you can color code those notes that
            you want to work on today. Or you could create a
            Daily Note and link all the items to it that you are
            going to work on today. The Note field of that Note
            could be used as your Daily Journal or daybook to
            record key things that came "across your transom" as
            David puts it. If you wanted to keep a journal, you
            could create a separate database and transfer the
            content to it at the end of the day. You can
            password protect individual notes too which is a
            feature some might find useful. Gripes? Well I would
            like to to be able to print a list of Projects.
            PhatNotes acts like Palm Desktop and prints the
            content of each item. One way around this is to
            export the list of items as a csv file and then print
            from a spreadsheet. Why am I using PhatNotes? I like
            the linking ability, flexibility to have separate
            databases (you could park all your Someday Maybes into
            a separate db if you wanted to, or set up a db to act
            as a Tickler file), and the color formatting and
            alarms. I also have to use Lotus Notes at work and do
            not like the Todo function of it very much, (not easy
            to tweak like Outlook), so opted not use PPC Todo
            application. I do sync my calendar with PPC calendar
            though so that's where the hard landscape items go.
            Again, if you need a reminder you could use an alarm
            in PhatNotes. There is a trial period available. I
            have no affiliation with the company, but for the PPC
            it seems to be working well for me. One other plus,
            if you were ever to switch to Palm, there is a Palm
            version also.

            Hope that helps.

            Philip.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail