Re: [GSNNJSUMS] Service Unit Financial Aid Program

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2010
      Parsippany Service Unit has given money to girls in the past - for
      summer camp, encampments & for Wider Opportunity/Destinations. We took
      a loss on a SU event one year to keep the costs down for everyone.

      The leader usually is the requester and the Service Team is the
      "committee" that decides. I don't have any forms or copies of old
      paperwork -- it has been a few years since we've done it. At least in
      the last 9 years I don't remember applications ever being
      solicited/requested. We have not been doing any SU fund-raisers in the
      last 2 years either - it has been more money out than in.

      Robin
    • cgyzander@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
        Hi!

        In Ridgewood, we have a casual policy for offering financial aid to individual girls.  We advertise at each Leader Meeting that there is confidential funding available for girls who need assistance with GS related expenses, such as for camp, events, dues or uniforms.  We have a three-person decision group made up of the town SUM, Treasurer and the girl's leader.  We have had two instances of girls requesting assistance in the last couple of years because of parental unemployment.

        Our pool of money came from two sources:  we used to run a town-wide roller skating event that turned a profit every year (until they closed the Rink in Montvale!), and we periodically request a $5 or $10 donation from troops into the town treasury (although we have not had to do that for several years).

        We also use the town treasury to defray the cost of town-wide events.

        Carol Gyzander
        Ridgewood SUM