RE: SU meetings (was Re: [GSNNJSUMS] handling the "data" of a SU

  • lesley graner
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 11 5:34 AM
      we try to keep our sum meeting to one hour...i do watch the clock, and try to make sure that it keeps moving. we sell the tickets to events at our meetings. we do not give out the detailed agenda before the meeting. we also give troops time to share if they wish. i am always first in by at least 1/2 an hour, and last to leave. that way if anyone wishes some one on one i am there.

      i have also found that if i do nlo before the meeting, the new leaders stay. they are more likely to come to the leader meeting each month.

      i agree the ones who attend on a regular basis are also the ones that are our strongest leaders. we have about 70 troops-but i do think we usually have only about 20-30 troops represented. we try to email as much as possible, to keep everyone up to date.

      december there isn't a lot going on, so we do a leader daughter. we do gifts in a jar to donate to the food pantry. the daughters feel special. we have cookies and juice.

      june we do an ice cream social at a local beach for the leaders and their daughters. it is a way to thank the girls for giving us their moms/dads. we have a sand castle competition. everyone wins.

      at the leader daugters we probably get 45-50 troops attending. if we could think of a way of doing something special with the daughters every month, we could probably get better attendance from the leaders!

      To: GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com
      From: wubison@...
      Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:44:28 -0500
      Subject: SU meetings (was Re: [GSNNJSUMS] handling the "data" of a SU

      lmr973@verizon. net wrote:

      How do you get you leaders to stay for a 2 hour sum meeting every month?

      It's not really 2 hours every month & certainly we don't get 110 people every month either so not all troops are represented!  In a year, it's 2 "drop by" meetings (~10 - 30 minutes for each leader), and then 8-9 meetings which average about 90 minutes.
      • We try to give out info leaders need & have "guests" & make it fun.
      • I think having an opening ceremony helps.
      • We try to keep it moving & if/when we are done, we close so most people can leave.  I am often last out since I will stay & answer any individual questions.
      • I can't decide if having a detailed agenda sent out before helps or not - some say it means they don't need to come, but others seem to get more interested to come.
      • We try to be flexible: Most people stay until they end but people come & go as needed.  Last month I know we had at least 2 leaders who were at our meeting, stopped by the Board of Ed meeting to see some of their older girls pick up awards & then came back to our meeting. Or, if a leader has to present a workshop or Product Sale news & do something else too, we will put them at the start or end of the agenda - whichever they can do.
      • We hand out an agenda & have copies of the flyers -- but we don't copy as many as we used to.  Lots of leaders print them from the website.
      • We encourage girls to be involved.  In March a troop is doing an opening flag ceremony for us.  We want girls to present their troop flyers.  (it's good for the girls to stand up in front if us & their events seem to get better attendance)
      We do find that the troops that are most active, and the leaders that last the longest with GS & with their troops are the ones that come to at least a couple SU meetings every year.  They get their questions answered & hear more of what is going on.  Minutes can not have everything -- we may mention a camping possibility on the agenda, but we don't record all the tips like stay away from the railroad tracks since trains go by all night, or don't try to sleep next to the aquarium display that will have lights on all night...LENGTH:  It's not really 2 hours.  We encourage mingling & showing up from 6:45 and they want us out of the room by 8:45pm.  The library building closes at 9pm so we do have to get out by 8:58 at least.

      MEETINGS: We are really good about starting at 7pm  and we are done when we are done, sometimes as early as 8pm, although usually at 8:30.  We have any girls that are there go first so they can get out -- they "advertise" any workshops or bowling/skating etc. that is coming up, or mention their community service walks to collections, or tell us what things they would love to collect to help with a project (books to help create a library for a Gold Award, or yarn so girls can knits scarves for a Silver Award, or Yoplait pink lids to support $ for cancer research)

      August and December have been "drop- by".  In August they get their LINK & a draft annual calendar for the SU. In December they drop off their nut check &/or pick up cookie info and flyers.  ...and of course ask any questions & drop off troop forms as needed.

      June is more of a party than a meeting - Adult Recognition awards & years of service for anyone  who did not go to the Annual meeting, announce any new Service Team members, snacks.

       = = = = =

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 11 3:26 PM
        lesley graner wrote:

          at the leader daugters we probably get 45-50 troops attending.

        I don't know, how many troops are in your SU?     (is that 40-50 leaders/co-leaders, or troops?)

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 11 8:26 PM
          It was probably a 110 minute meeting tonight:
          Opening ceremony (no song);
          Mary Ann Lewis from council to talk about camp,
          cookie info update & a presentation of awards to a troop from Blue
          Star moms,
          handing out "Badges from Thinking Day" Australian badges troops earned,
          announced our annual encampment, site for GS Sunday this year,
          talked a tiny bit about WTD & JLWFF,
          Review of upcoming events.

          Started ~7:02 to after 8:45 tonight. We were done & everything out of
          the room before 8:58 pm.
          Maybe it could have been 15 minutes shorter - but I can't imagine
          getting it done in an hour. Did see a few leaders leak out in the last
          15 minutes -- but one also came in after 8pm - - it was worth it to her
          to stop by.

          Robin
        • lesley graner
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 12 4:54 AM
            we have 77 troops right now. but we have some daisy troops just starting. so of the 77 troops, we have a leader/daughter come from around 45-50 of them. at our regular monthly meetings we have probably about 30 troops represented by either a leader or a parent. lesley

            To: GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com
            From: wubison@...
            Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:26:44 -0500