Re: [GSNNJSUMS] handling the "data" of a SU

  • A. Burg-Charwat
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
      Sadly, I print and file paper.

      --- On Wed, 2/10/10, RJ Herbison <wubison@...> wrote:

      From: RJ Herbison <wubison@...>
      Subject: [GSNNJSUMS] handling the "data" of a SU
      To: GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 12:17 PM

      Fellow SUMS -
          (especially those with larger Service Units)

      How do you keep your roster, training, awards, etc. organized for the Service Unit?  Do you use any special software?  How do you sort/file the leader agreements, troop finance reports, etc?   Do you keep a list of the TGAAs?

      I see there are at least 2 programs available for purchase that say they are for GS Service Units & our paperwork.  (I can't find any free.) Has any one used anything like this? (I use a free tracking spreadsheet for my girl/troop. I have not tried these at all.)

      1. G-Scoutmate (c)
        >http://www.kscgroup .com/products/ gscoutmate. html
      2. SUManager Plus
        >http://www.scouttro op.com/SUManager /download. htm
      Buried in paper,
          Robin (Parsippany)

    • lmr973@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
        Robin,

        I print and file also but I do have g-coutmate.

        Sadly I really haven't used it after the first year with one of my troops but is it is a good program. I really should start using it again.

        On another note.. I was looking at your su's website the other day (which I love). How do you get you leaders to stay for a 2 hour sum meeting every month?

        Lisa

        Sadly, I print and file paper.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
          No website for us, but I always serve coffee and fresh baked goods, sometimes leaders share the baking. Adrienne

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
            Gee, when I brought a birthday cake to my SU meeting after we'd had one in Paramus, they looked at me like I was nuts!  It seems harder to get a turnout every month.  Although, sending out an agenda (chock full) with the bank rep there generated a larger turnout than I've been getting.

            And even more sadly, I have no ability to handle paper, so I don't.

            2012480125@... text message address
            Coldwell Banker Real Estate Consultant
            300 Lake Street
            Ramsey, NJ 07446

          • Vickie Nichols
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
              Hi everyone,
              I would like some feedback on how "online registration" has gone for your service unit.

              We are having a problem grasping the concept that if the SUM is the 3rd signature on every checking account, and the troop needs to get a "Debit Card" for their checking acct (since that is the way that GSNNJ wants the troop to pay), the SUM is then held liable for all of these Debit Cards that are distributed.

              Historically, in our Service Unit when a troop disbands, it is a challenge just to get them to close the account never mind tracking down who has the debit card.  Our banks made it perfectly clear that the SUMS are liable if the account is overdrawn by misuse of these cards.  Some suggested that we put a $200 limit on the card.  Well, if you have 60 troops, then the SUM is only liable for $12,0000.  Gee, what a bargain!!

              Please help me understand!!

              Vickie Nichols
              Co-SUM of Girl Scouts of Jefferson Township

            • aaborkowski@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010

                My big problem with online registration is that our registrar has no information on these registrations - no copy of the form, nor even the confirmation that this registration has taken place.

                We do not allow our troops to hold debit cards - only the service unit account has one - probably for the very reason that you defined...

                Alex Ann Borkowski
                Pequannock SUM

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
                  Then how do your troops pay if they don't have a debit card?

                  Vickie

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
                    troop check, or reimbursement

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
                      Vickie Nichols wrote:

                      I would like some feedback on how "online registration" has gone for your service unit.

                      I am waiting to hear when SUMs can have access at an SU level -- and when it will be able to provide a roster for the SU.

                      I *just* got a roster out that seems to have fairly accurate numbers for troop size -- it has NEVER taken our SU until Feb to get a decent roster out!  (The leaders have had access to troop numbers & other leaders addresses thoughout - but the # of girls and adults have not been decent.)

                      We are having a problem grasping the concept that if the SUM is the 3rd signature on every checking account, and the troop needs to get a "Debit Card" for their checking acct (since that is the way that GSNNJ wants the troop to pay), the SUM is then held liable for all of these Debit Cards that are distributed.

                      maybe you want to try a different bank?  I have trouble imagining that the 3rd signature would be responsible for a card they have never even seen.  Guess I should double check with our bank on its policies.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
                        Lisa -

                        so, have you tried to use the g-scouter version for the SU? let us know!

                        maybe I should have ask more detailed questions about SU paperwork:
                        How does everyone handle:

                        * ROSTER: How do you produce & update your roster? (We just now have
                        something that is close to the GSNNJ numbers) Ours goes to 7 sides so
                        I hate to print it out for everyone - it is password protected on our
                        website. But I know that when we did that in the fall for everyone, it
                        was used.

                        * ADULT REC: (esp. at this time of year) ... do you go back through by
                        hand to see who has had what award? (they can't get the same
                        "outstanding award" twice - and I don't think GSNNJ will "let" a leader
                        get an award one year if they got one the year before)

                        I have the GSNNJ report on how got what awards this year - for the 1st
                        time -- but I have not compared it to the SU spreadsheet on adult
                        recognitions (it came to me when I became SU but it is a lot to update!)

                        * TGAAs: and you check by hand the First aid & CPR dates & who can
                        drive before you sign each TGAA? (There is no way I can keep even half
                        of that in my head with 110 troops)
                        Our signed copies are then just in a file folder by year.

                        * (Annual) Leader Agreements
                        * (Annual) Troop rosters
                        * (Annual) troop finance reports

                        I try not to print things -- and I love being able to sort based on what
                        I am looking for: I keep all of the monthly excel files I get from
                        GSNNJ on GS Training & First Aid training -- and all/any of the
                        registration # reports I get from them. Last year I was able to get a
                        registration totals report every month from GSNNJ but it is not working
                        out this year with their new/current systems :(

                        Robin
                      • allison peckham
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
                          We had some people that registered on line individually.  It was a little tricky because they had to print the confirmation out and hand it in as proof of payment but it avoids the troop debit card issue.  I believe you need to set the people up ahead of time but it worked.

                          Allison Peckham
                          "When in doubt, just take the next small step."

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
                            lmr973@... wrote:

                            On another note.. I was looking at your su's website the other day (which I love).

                            Thanks!  Some days it is more up-to-date than others.
                            Anyone can visit much of it at
                            >www.partroygs.org

                            where girls meet & leader contact info is password protected.  A few troops in town have their own websites too.
                            ((Note to self: remind troops to tell me so we can collect & pass it on to GSNNJ, they need to know all of our websites - but not Yahoo or Google groups.  Add to SU meeting agenda))

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 10, 2010
                              lmr973@... wrote:

                              How do you get you leaders to stay for a 2 hour sum meeting every month?

                              It's not really 2 hours every month & certainly we don't get 110 people every month either so not all troops are represented!  In a year, it's 2 "drop by" meetings (~10 - 30 minutes for each leader), and then 8-9 meetings which average about 90 minutes.
                              • We try to give out info leaders need & have "guests" & make it fun.
                              • I think having an opening ceremony helps.
                              • We try to keep it moving & if/when we are done, we close so most people can leave.  I am often last out since I will stay & answer any individual questions.
                              • I can't decide if having a detailed agenda sent out before helps or not - some say it means they don't need to come, but others seem to get more interested to come.
                              • We try to be flexible: Most people stay until they end but people come & go as needed.  Last month I know we had at least 2 leaders who were at our meeting, stopped by the Board of Ed meeting to see some of their older girls pick up awards & then came back to our meeting. Or, if a leader has to present a workshop or Product Sale news & do something else too, we will put them at the start or end of the agenda - whichever they can do.
                              • We hand out an agenda & have copies of the flyers -- but we don't copy as many as we used to.  Lots of leaders print them from the website.
                              • We encourage girls to be involved.  In March a troop is doing an opening flag ceremony for us.  We want girls to present their troop flyers.  (it's good for the girls to stand up in front if us & their events seem to get better attendance)
                              We do find that the troops that are most active, and the leaders that last the longest with GS & with their troops are the ones that come to at least a couple SU meetings every year.  They get their questions answered & hear more of what is going on.  Minutes can not have everything -- we may mention a camping possibility on the agenda, but we don't record all the tips like stay away from the railroad tracks since trains go by all night, or don't try to sleep next to the aquarium display that will have lights on all night...LENGTH:  It's not really 2 hours.  We encourage mingling & showing up from 6:45 and they want us out of the room by 8:45pm.  The library building closes at 9pm so we do have to get out by 8:58 at least.

                              MEETINGS: We are really good about starting at 7pm  and we are done when we are done, sometimes as early as 8pm, although usually at 8:30.  We have any girls that are there go first so they can get out -- they "advertise" any workshops or bowling/skating etc. that is coming up, or mention their community service walks to collections, or tell us what things they would love to collect to help with a project (books to help create a library for a Gold Award, or yarn so girls can knits scarves for a Silver Award, or Yoplait pink lids to support $ for cancer research)

                              August and December have been "drop- by".  In August they get their LINK & a draft annual calendar for the SU. In December they drop off their nut check &/or pick up cookie info and flyers.  ...and of course ask any questions & drop off troop forms as needed.

                              June is more of a party than a meeting - Adult Recognition awards & years of service for anyone  who did not go to the Annual meeting, announce any new Service Team members, snacks.

                               = = = = =

                            • lesley graner
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 11, 2010
                                we try to keep our sum meeting to one hour...i do watch the clock, and try to make sure that it keeps moving. we sell the tickets to events at our meetings. we do not give out the detailed agenda before the meeting. we also give troops time to share if they wish. i am always first in by at least 1/2 an hour, and last to leave. that way if anyone wishes some one on one i am there.

                                i have also found that if i do nlo before the meeting, the new leaders stay. they are more likely to come to the leader meeting each month.

                                i agree the ones who attend on a regular basis are also the ones that are our strongest leaders. we have about 70 troops-but i do think we usually have only about 20-30 troops represented. we try to email as much as possible, to keep everyone up to date.

                                december there isn't a lot going on, so we do a leader daughter. we do gifts in a jar to donate to the food pantry. the daughters feel special. we have cookies and juice.

                                june we do an ice cream social at a local beach for the leaders and their daughters. it is a way to thank the girls for giving us their moms/dads. we have a sand castle competition. everyone wins.

                                at the leader daugters we probably get 45-50 troops attending. if we could think of a way of doing something special with the daughters every month, we could probably get better attendance from the leaders!

                                To: GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 11, 2010
                                  lesley graner wrote:

                                    at the leader daugters we probably get 45-50 troops attending.

                                  I don't know, how many troops are in your SU?     (is that 40-50 leaders/co-leaders, or troops?)

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 11, 2010
                                    It was probably a 110 minute meeting tonight:
                                    Opening ceremony (no song);
                                    Mary Ann Lewis from council to talk about camp,
                                    cookie info update & a presentation of awards to a troop from Blue
                                    Star moms,
                                    handing out "Badges from Thinking Day" Australian badges troops earned,
                                    announced our annual encampment, site for GS Sunday this year,
                                    talked a tiny bit about WTD & JLWFF,
                                    Review of upcoming events.

                                    Started ~7:02 to after 8:45 tonight. We were done & everything out of
                                    the room before 8:58 pm.
                                    Maybe it could have been 15 minutes shorter - but I can't imagine
                                    getting it done in an hour. Did see a few leaders leak out in the last
                                    15 minutes -- but one also came in after 8pm - - it was worth it to her
                                    to stop by.

                                    Robin
                                  • lesley graner
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 12, 2010
                                      we have 77 troops right now. but we have some daisy troops just starting. so of the 77 troops, we have a leader/daughter come from around 45-50 of them. at our regular monthly meetings we have probably about 30 troops represented by either a leader or a parent. lesley

                                      To: GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: wubison@...
                                      Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:26:44 -0500