WTD: GS can earn "foreign" GS/Girl guide awards!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2013
    Want to do something different for World Thinking day?

    Did you know that Girls Guides/Scouts can earn and be awarded
    recognitions from Girl Guides/Scouts of another country – what a special
    way to learn about Guiding around the world. For about ten years, a
    group of GSUSA volunteers have arranging this through a Yahoo group.
    Orders are due in October with the goal of delivering the actual award
    before World Thinking Day in February. These recognitions usually go on
    the back of a GSUSA vest or sash although some councils allow them on
    the front. The optional participation patch is worn on the back.
    Sometimes older Girl Scouts get a participation patch after helping a
    younger troop earn an award.

    We have been offering this to Parsippany Service Unit since at least
    2006 or 2007 and the troops that participate have really enjoyed it. I
    know some places have older girls (or volunteers) run an event or a
    workshop to help younger girls/troops earn their awards. Even with a
    January or February (closer to 2/22 World Thinking Day), the ordersa re
    due in October; there is only one order each year. In our SU, we add a
    little bit to the price of each award to cover postage. Sometimes there
    is a tiny refund to troops, and I have been known to throw in a $1 for
    postage if I mis-estimated or wanted to round the numbers. Some service
    units will cover the cost of postage for the girls, and some order as a
    troop and handle their own costs.

    This year Girl Scouts from 5-14 years old can earn UK interest badges
    through that Yahoo group. The group’s ordering deadline for World
    Thinking Day 2014 is 1 November. (I set an earlier deadline for my
    service unit so that I can collate the order.) Every year the Yahoo
    group membership is closed from mid-October until all ordering is
    complete when it will be re-opened.

    To order for your troop or community, or to get more information, you
    must be a member of
    >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BadgesforThinkingDay . Visit to join and
    learn more! I do not know them personally - but have worked with them
    for years and it's been good.

    If you are a tiny service unit, you can email me directly to work on
    joining my order, although I would really rather you hosted it
    yourselves, maybe with the towns next to you. (in part since my dd is a
    high school senior...) But if you are small and really can not, you
    would need to get me a check on time and then (probably in January)
    either pick up the awards in Parsippany or pay for me to mail them to
    you. I am less than a mile from the 80 and 287 intersection. Robin at
    myscouts@...

    ###