Re: seeking suggestions and advice

  • Kim Nestor
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 16, 2013
      Hi Robin,
      As the immediate past SUM of another larger Service Unit (Long Valley/Wash Twp-Morris), I agree that IT support from GSNNJ would be great.  We tried a free website provider in the past, but then you must have a Webmaster Volunteer to keep it going, and that can and does change frequently.  We know pay for a web name, a hosting service, and have a volunteer to coordinate these things, but it would be simpler if GSNNJ could help us (Love the ideas of the templates, even if it is just for consistant branding, which you'd think GSUSA Marketing Dept. would be all in for.)

      I am also a TGAA reviewer, and the spreadsheets are confusing at times (ie. if my name is Gwendolyn Smith but I took one class under Gwen Smith, I now have two lines in the training spread sheet, and god forbid there was a type-o and once I got listed as Gen Smith, now I have three lines of training.)  Since it's not in excel, you can't do a search either.

      Also in the trainings, if you are an older troop leader and took In-person trainings, you are no longer even listed on the spreadsheets, only those who've taken GS 101 are listed.  Plus I've noted that the CPR/1st Aid dates are listed for when you took the class, not when it's set to expire. Not that I'm not capable of just adding two years, but it is just an extra step.

      So if you are looking for a vote to send in, or even just support for your idea...you have mine.

      Kim Nestor
      Lifetime Member, GSUSA
      Member, GSNNJ
      Current SU Team & past-SUM, Long Valley/Wash Twp Girl Scouts
      Leader, Troops 4094 & 5029
    • Christine Brown
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 16, 2013

        I just spent three hours this week marking corrections for our training sheet from GSNNJ.  There were people on there with no info at all, and some with training in the 90’s.  It seems like it could at least be cross referenced by who is registered.  It took me 3 hours to do that because I had to do it manually.

        I hope council takes the time to fix my spreadsheet!

        Christine Brown

        Long Hill Township

      • Linda Menzel
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 17, 2013
          I did them same thing...lets see if they fix it.
          Linda Menzel
          Park Ridge Girl Scouts
          CO-Service Unit Manager
          Cell# 201-316-6631
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 17, 2013
            Gwen -

            I always got our training in a spreadsheet, has that changed? Angela at GSNNJ was great about correcting names, removing duplicates, etc. but yes we have plenty of former leaders, including a past SUM passed away, and an ex-leader whose grand-daught is approaching KG and Girl Scouts listed in our report.

            FYI: some CPR expires in 2 years and some in 3! Depends on where it was taken. There might be a one year also... I think there are two lengths for first aid too. So The date taken is no longer enough, we also need to know the length the certification is valid for (or only the expiration date cd/ be stored but that seems riskier)

            So is it mostly a "large group" issue and the data is manageable for smaller SUs? Our SU plans to ask again. We're thinking about what would help most. I have some ideas for the training data.