seeking suggestions and advice

  • Dawn DeFalco
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2013
      Ladies,
      My Juniors are just completing their Bronze award and just in time to become Cadettes.  Any advice and/or suggestions that I can offer my girls about planning a ceremony?
      I found the 11 keys for the Fly upBridging:
      Personal Growth, Understanding, Friendship, Values, Integrity, Respect, Choice, Leadership, Service, The World, Silver Award
      We will do our best with the 9 active girls returning and celebrating this milestone.
      You thoughts and ideas will help and if you have any videos I can show them that too might help.
      Thank you for all you do.
      Dawn D.
      LFGS
    • Beth Foster
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2013
      • 1 Attachment
      • 31 KB

      Amazing what I saved on my lovely USB key from years ago!  Here is the ceremony we put together for both a Bronze award and bridging.  Good luck.

      -Beth

      Pequannock GS

      Beth E. Foster

      Associate Registrar

      Ramapo College of New Jersey

      Mahwah, New Jersey

      07430

      Phone(201)684-7324

      Fax    (201)684-7956

      e-mail bfoster@...

      Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2013
        Hi Dawn,

        If you're doing your Bronze Awards by yourself (eg. not with your town), I'd ask the girls how big a deal they want.  We gave ours out a Court of Awards ceremony at our local Moe's where we invited all the families to attend and Moe's let us bring in a sheet cake.  We didn't ask anyone else to join us or try to get any other acknowledgements.

        There are lots of ideas out there on the web.  It's up to you and the girls what you want to do.

        It's a big accomplishment for the age group, but personally, I didn't want to go too crazy so as to leave room for more acknowledgements as they move up (eg. Group Silver award ceremony, Individual Gold ceremony).

        Susan

        On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Dawn DeFalco <dawdef92@...> wrote:

        Ladies,
        My Juniors are just completing their Bronze award and just in time to become Cadettes.  Any advice and/or suggestions that I can offer my girls about planning a ceremony?
        I found the 11 keys for the Fly upBridging:
        Personal Growth, Understanding, Friendship, Values, Integrity, Respect, Choice, Leadership, Service, The World, Silver Award
        We will do our best with the 9 active girls returning and celebrating this milestone.
        You thoughts and ideas will help and if you have any videos I can show them that too might help.
        Thank you for all you do.
        Dawn D.
        LFGS

      • Kim Nestor
        Message 4 of 7 , Sep 16, 2013
          Hi Robin,
          As the immediate past SUM of another larger Service Unit (Long Valley/Wash Twp-Morris), I agree that IT support from GSNNJ would be great.  We tried a free website provider in the past, but then you must have a Webmaster Volunteer to keep it going, and that can and does change frequently.  We know pay for a web name, a hosting service, and have a volunteer to coordinate these things, but it would be simpler if GSNNJ could help us (Love the ideas of the templates, even if it is just for consistant branding, which you'd think GSUSA Marketing Dept. would be all in for.)

          I am also a TGAA reviewer, and the spreadsheets are confusing at times (ie. if my name is Gwendolyn Smith but I took one class under Gwen Smith, I now have two lines in the training spread sheet, and god forbid there was a type-o and once I got listed as Gen Smith, now I have three lines of training.)  Since it's not in excel, you can't do a search either.

          Also in the trainings, if you are an older troop leader and took In-person trainings, you are no longer even listed on the spreadsheets, only those who've taken GS 101 are listed.  Plus I've noted that the CPR/1st Aid dates are listed for when you took the class, not when it's set to expire. Not that I'm not capable of just adding two years, but it is just an extra step.

          So if you are looking for a vote to send in, or even just support for your idea...you have mine.

          Kim Nestor
          Lifetime Member, GSUSA
          Member, GSNNJ
          Current SU Team & past-SUM, Long Valley/Wash Twp Girl Scouts
          Leader, Troops 4094 & 5029
        • Christine Brown
          Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2013

            I just spent three hours this week marking corrections for our training sheet from GSNNJ.  There were people on there with no info at all, and some with training in the 90’s.  It seems like it could at least be cross referenced by who is registered.  It took me 3 hours to do that because I had to do it manually.

            I hope council takes the time to fix my spreadsheet!

            Christine Brown

            Long Hill Township

          • Linda Menzel
            Message 6 of 7 , Sep 17, 2013
              I did them same thing...lets see if they fix it.
              Linda Menzel
              Park Ridge Girl Scouts
              CO-Service Unit Manager
              Cell# 201-316-6631
              Message 7 of 7 , Sep 17, 2013
                Gwen -

                I always got our training in a spreadsheet, has that changed? Angela at GSNNJ was great about correcting names, removing duplicates, etc. but yes we have plenty of former leaders, including a past SUM passed away, and an ex-leader whose grand-daught is approaching KG and Girl Scouts listed in our report.

                FYI: some CPR expires in 2 years and some in 3! Depends on where it was taken. There might be a one year also... I think there are two lengths for first aid too. So The date taken is no longer enough, we also need to know the length the certification is valid for (or only the expiration date cd/ be stored but that seems riskier)

                So is it mostly a "large group" issue and the data is manageable for smaller SUs? Our SU plans to ask again. We're thinking about what would help most. I have some ideas for the training data.