Re: [GSNNJSUMS] Service Unit Scholarships & Awards

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2013
      Parsippany Service Unit used to give check and a nice pen to each girl
      getting their Gold Award who (had a ceremony & ) told us about it. We
      now (last 3 years?) just give a check - I think $50 to each girl. No
      strings attached. no forms to request it, I would not call it a
      scholarship. Parsippany-Troy Hills has about 900 girls registered in
      total and 3 - 14 girls earn their Gold Award each year. (Parsippany
      has a pop. of about 50,000 and includes Lake Hiawatha and Mount Tabor).

      We started having a town-wide ceremony in the fall about 4 years ago for
      any interested troops/girls that got their Bronze &/or Silver Award, and
      I think that upper level bridging is also welcome although perhaps not
      stressed. Most/many of the 10 elementary schools in town do a year-end
      Court of Awards for the whole school, but not the 2 middle nor the 2
      high schools. The SU made a program, the opening, closing & MCing but
      basically turned the stage over to each troop for their section gave
      certificates to the Bronze awardees and a token or bracelet or some such
      to the Silver Awardees. All troops were invited to attend and we try to
      get multiple levels involved in at least the flag ceremony.

      Some troops (used to?) empty their treasury between a Gold Award
      ceremony and some buy life-memberships for their girls. I see a bit less
      of that now that there are fewer reasons to run workshops for the
      younger girls. I see less money-earning too. As far as I know, no troop
      is planning a trip to Savannah, Our Cabana, or Our Chalet now - nor has
      any gone in ~3 years. that is "new" for the community. My dd is a
      12th grader now - but there was some troop planning every year from the
      time she was in kindergarten, of course, a troop took 2 - 3 years to
      fund raise for each trip.

      Robin
      past SUM