Service Unit Scholarships & Awards

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2013
      Hi all!  Welcome back to a new year of Girl Scouts!

      Do any of your service units offer scholarships for graduating girls?  What about acknowledgements for Gold and Silver girls?

      Please share what you do and how you do it.

      Thanks.

    • Lorinda Walker
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2013

        Hi Susan,

        The Emerson service unit has purchased Lifetime memberships for our graduating Seniors. We do ask them to fill out a short application to receive this award and we give it to them at the Court of Awards ceremony, along with a gift from the Service unit. For Silver and Gold recipients, we give a gift, like the silver charm bracelet or something in the rage of $25-$30. These are also given at the Court of Awards, held in June each year. We have only had one Gold Award recipient in the years I have been a leader (8) but that is changing so I am looking forward to hearing what other service units are doing for their Gold Award recipients. I have attended a few Eagle Scout Award ceremonies and they are very moving and beautiful. I wish we had a similar format to follow for Gold recipients. Thanks for starting this discussion.

        Kind regards,

        Lorinda Walker (Past SUM for Emerson)

        Licensed Massage Therapist

        Certified Raindrop Technique® Practitioner

        doTERRA Independent Product Consultant, Sponsor/Enroller # 448599

        201-314-0561 Cell

        Check out my new website!

        http://www.mydoterra.com/lorinda

        http://www.LorindaWalker.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2013
          Parsippany Service Unit used to give check and a nice pen to each girl
          getting their Gold Award who (had a ceremony & ) told us about it. We
          now (last 3 years?) just give a check - I think $50 to each girl. No
          strings attached. no forms to request it, I would not call it a
          scholarship. Parsippany-Troy Hills has about 900 girls registered in
          total and 3 - 14 girls earn their Gold Award each year. (Parsippany
          has a pop. of about 50,000 and includes Lake Hiawatha and Mount Tabor).

          We started having a town-wide ceremony in the fall about 4 years ago for
          any interested troops/girls that got their Bronze &/or Silver Award, and
          I think that upper level bridging is also welcome although perhaps not
          stressed. Most/many of the 10 elementary schools in town do a year-end
          Court of Awards for the whole school, but not the 2 middle nor the 2
          high schools. The SU made a program, the opening, closing & MCing but
          basically turned the stage over to each troop for their section gave
          certificates to the Bronze awardees and a token or bracelet or some such
          to the Silver Awardees. All troops were invited to attend and we try to
          get multiple levels involved in at least the flag ceremony.

          Some troops (used to?) empty their treasury between a Gold Award
          ceremony and some buy life-memberships for their girls. I see a bit less
          of that now that there are fewer reasons to run workshops for the
          younger girls. I see less money-earning too. As far as I know, no troop
          is planning a trip to Savannah, Our Cabana, or Our Chalet now - nor has
          any gone in ~3 years. that is "new" for the community. My dd is a
          12th grader now - but there was some troop planning every year from the
          time she was in kindergarten, of course, a troop took 2 - 3 years to
          fund raise for each trip.

          Robin
          past SUM