Best practices for Town Treasurer?

  • Dale Di Pietro
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2012
      Hi Lorinda,

      I have been lucky enough to have a wonderful Town Treasurer for the past five years.

      1. At the beginning of the year she gives everyone a form that has:
      Troop #, Level
      Signatories on the Account
      Bank Name (we allow them to use only 2 banks)
      Bank Address
      Account #

      This goes into her records for reference if any information is needed to be accessed.

      2. If a signatory needs to be added or deleted, as SUM I send a letter to the bank with the necessary changes. I am also the third (or sometimes 4th) signer on the accounts. This information also goes to the Treasurer for updating her troop records.

      3. If an event is being run in town a form must be submitted to the treasure with an accounting of all financial transactions for the event.  Unless the event is an official Money Earning Event that has been approved by the SUM and Council the event should break even.

      4. At the end of the year, she distributes the Year End Financial Report to all the troops either by supplying the link through the GSNNJ website or in paper form.  She also supplies the individual troops with their year end balance from the prior year so that they have the accurate starting balance for the current year.

      5.  At the May meeting the Treasurer comes prepared to help any troop that needs help preparing their report.  Many leaders just don't get the concept that the prior years ending balance is this years starting balance even if more transactions were made after the report was filed. We find that this is what most people have as a problem when completing the financials.

      6. After all Troop Financial Reports are filed the Treasure then files her report with the Council Treasurer to close out the year.

      7. The treasurer sends in a check to council for the Juliette Low fund collected from the town.

      8. Handles giving out checks for girls who might need financial assistance.

      9. If a troop leader needs assistance with the checkbook throughout the year, she will give them help.

      I think I covered all of the treasurers responsibilities.

      Yours in Girl Scout Friendship,
      Dale Di Pietro
      Vernon SUM
      Ambassador Advisor Troop 70654

    • Lorinda Walker
      Message 2 of 4 , May 24, 2012

        Hi Dale,

        That sounds great. Thanks so much for sending this info. It’s always interesting to see how other towns do things. I like the fact that it is the treasurer who collects the finance reports as I have been doing that myself. What about new troops that need to open a bank account? In the past I have gone with them to the bank to help them do this, but it is so time consuming. This should be a Treasurer responsibility too I think.

        What is the Juliette Fund? I am not aware of that.

        One thing that we also do is collect Town Dues of $5 per girl at the beginning of the year to cover patches for town wide events and to help offset the cost of the Mother Daughter Brunch. This is a big event that we do each March and we have a DJ. The town dues help to finance that.

        Our Treasurer has also always collected a gift for the SUM, which is presented as a gift card, both at Christmas time and at the end of the year. I believe she usually asks for $1 per girl that the leaders donate out of their troop funds.

        We also provide a Lifetime membership to graduating Seniors and the treasurer ensures we have enough money for that.

        We also donate $100 to the Annual Women of Achievement fundraiser.

        Thanks for sharing about your leader meetings too.

        Kind regards,

        Lorinda Walker

        Emerson Girl Scouts Service Unit Manager

        Leader, Cadette Troop 1200

        Cell: 201-314-0561

[...]

        No virus found in this message.

      • Dale Di Pietro
        Message 3 of 4 , May 24, 2012
          Hi Lorinda,

          The Treasurer is not a signer on any of the accounts, this falls to the SUM.  We have never had the treasurer as a signatory because we felt this might present a conflict of interest.

          The banks know me so well that we either have a few troop leaders come in at once or they collect a few new troop accounts then I go and sign all the paperwork at once.  My information is on file for the bank but is not available to the troop leaders. It has been this way since the banking laws changed after 911.  I do restrict everyone to 2 banks only so that I am not going from bank to bank to bank signing on accounts.

          The Juliette Low World Friendship Fund was established in 1927 to honor Juliette Low’s commitment to promoting the global sisterhood of Girl Guiding / Girl Scouting. The Juliette Low World Friendship Fund strengthens the Girl Scout Movement by supporting national and international efforts to serve girls and young women. The contributions made annually to the Fund are used not only to help girls in the U.S. connect with girls overseas, but also to advance the work of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) and to help strengthen other Girl Guide/Girl Scout organizations.

          Some Girl Scouts who have traveled internationally with Destinations have had their trip fees significantly reduced by this fund.

          Girl Scouts of the USA has challenged every council to reach a goal for money to be donated to the Juliette Low World Friendship Fund. Sometimes troops will donate $.50 to $.75 per girl from their troop treasury toward the fund, we also collect $.50 per girl from one event per Level per year to be donated.

          I like your idea of doing a townwide Mother / Daughter Brunch.  We have done this as a Level Event or even as a troop event but have never held it for the everyone in town.

          For Women or Achievement, we collect $5.00 per troop to either purchase something or to write a check from the Town Account to Council for them to use for larger items.