Communicating Programs for Non-Registered Girls

  • hackensackgirlscouts
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2012
      Good Afternoon Everyone:
      I am writing to see how your Service Unit handles communication of
      programs that the MDMs put together to recruit more girls, to the
      parents of girls who are already registered.

      Do you receive advance notice that a flyer will go out to the schools
      and churches from your MDM? Do you receive a copy of the flyer directly
      from your MDM or do you only receive it when your child brings it home
      from school?

      Our MDM is hard at work to help us reach our goal and has been sending
      out a lot of flyers for programs. Unfortunately we do not always know
      about these programs until the parents of registered girls call us and
      say "hey, my kid got a flyer for a program today what's this about and
      how come it says for non-registered girls" In many cases we have no
      idea that a flyer went out or what the program it is about.

      I am looking for a solution to reduce the confusion and fustration
      around this process. I received 8 phone calls over the last 3 days from
      parents whose children are registered in Hackensack, but attend school
      outside of the town. They heard about the program through another troop
      member and feel as though they are being excluded from a Hackensack Girl
      Scout program as it was only advertised in Hackensack Schools.

      Any advice is appreciated.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2012
        We don't have this issue in Mahwah.  Council is not actively recruiting here.  However, because our numbers went down a bit, I had found out they were planning on approaching the schools to run an in-school program and I wished her luck, but I told her I didn't think it would happen.  I also told her there would be an issue with our existing Girl Scouts in traditional troops.  I never heard about it again but I don't know what happened.  They don't really circle back to us.

        It must be very frustrating to deal with it.  You should have a conversation with your MDM about future mailings.

        Susan Steinberg
        Leader Girl Scout Senior Troop 903
        Service Unit Manager Mahwah, NJ
        GSNNJ Delegate to National Council 2011, 2008
        Lifelong Girl Scout, Recipient of First Class Award
        Boy Scout Venturing Crew Advisor, Crew 42

        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2012
          I believe that each MDM does her own thing.

          Perhaps we should remind Judy Ginty & all of the MDMs that it is a
          courtesy to at least let us know when they work in our areas - whether
          with thte town, library or school(s); whether to run a program or
          distribute flyers. It does not benefit Girl Scouts in any way to make
          SUMs - or council - look uninformed, which is what happens when we do
          not communicate. Best, IMHO would be for us to see the flyer *before*
          it goes out, but certainly no later than at the same time it goes out.

          It would seem to carry the most weight if individuals do it - rather
          than one note from all of us.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2012
            sorry this happened to you.
          • Sandra O'Byrne
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2012
              Hi,

              Without having regular meetings, this may be forgotten and not even on anyones mind in August. It has happened to me and apparently many other towns have been there. Did you reach out to your MDM?

              Perhaps we should forward the info to Betty Garger Chief Operating Officer bgarger@..., this way it can be added to next meeting's agenda and perhaps addressed immediately.

              I agree, it is important for us to know what is happening in our town.

              Sandy O'Byrne
              Wood Ridge
              201-804-8104

              Please note: message attached

              From: "hackensackgirlscouts" <hackensackgirlscouts@...>
              To: GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [GSNNJSUMS] Communicating Programs for Non-Registered Girls
              Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 18:27:32 -0000
            • hackensackgirlscouts
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2012
                I appreciate all of the responses. I reached out to my MDM regarding this a few days ago and expressed my concern. Several of the leaders in my town have also reached out to her this week. I would like to give her a fair amount of time to come to an agreement before going to Betty, but I do feel it's important that all of the MDMs are aware of the negative image it sends when we're not on the same page.

                Unfortunately Issues like these were best addressed in the old setup of SUM meetings. The new format does not lend us time to improve processes. My fear is that mentioning It to Betty would seem more like a reprimand vs a suggestion for improvement.

                --- In GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra O'Byrne" <sandyob1@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > Without having regular meetings, this may be forgotten and not even on anyones mind in August. It has happened to me and apparently many other towns have been there. Did you reach out to your MDM?
                >
                > Perhaps we should forward the info to Betty Garger Chief Operating Officer bgarger@..., this way it can be added to next meeting's agenda and perhaps addressed immediately.
                >
                > I agree, it is important for us to know what is happening in our town.
                >

                > Sandy O'Byrne
                > Wood Ridge
                > 201-804-8104
                >

                > Please note: message attached
                >
                > From: "hackensackgirlscouts" <hackensackgirlscouts@...>
                > To: GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [GSNNJSUMS] Communicating Programs for Non-Registered Girls
                > Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 18:27:32 -0000
                >
                > Good Afternoon Everyone:
                > I am writing to see how your Service Unit handles communication of
                > programs that the MDMs put together to recruit more girls, to the
                > parents of girls who are already registered.
                >
                > Do you receive advance notice that a flyer will go out to the schools
                > and churches from your MDM? Do you receive a copy of the flyer directly
                > from your MDM or do you only receive it when your child brings it home
                > from school?
                >
                > Our MDM is hard at work to help us reach our goal and has been sending
                > out a lot of flyers for programs. Unfortunately we do not always know
                > about these programs until the parents of registered girls call us and
                > say "hey, my kid got a flyer for a program today what's this about and
                > how come it says for non-registered girls" In many cases we have no
                > idea that a flyer went out or what the program it is about.
                >
                > I am looking for a solution to reduce the confusion and fustration
                > around this process. I received 8 phone calls over the last 3 days from
                > parents whose children are registered in Hackensack, but attend school
                > outside of the town. They heard about the program through another troop
                > member and feel as though they are being excluded from a Hackensack Girl
                > Scout program as it was only advertised in Hackensack Schools.
                >
                > Any advice is appreciated.

              • Mary Urban
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2012
                  The chain of command should always be followed as well..The MDMs report to the regional director for that council office..ti would not be good to go right to the top before the MDM has a chance to to rectify her behavior..and the bottom line is, she's just doing her job to help you reach your registration goal, but didn't think to include you in the mix!  Hopefully a heads up from you will solve the problem...

                  Mary

                  I appreciate all of the responses. I reached out to my MDM regarding this a few days ago and expressed my concern. Several of the leaders in my town have also reached out to her this week. I would like to give her a fair amount of time to come to an agreement before going to Betty, but I do feel it's important that all of the MDMs are aware of the negative image it sends when we're not on the same page.

                  Unfortunately Issues like these were best addressed in the old setup of SUM meetings. The new format does not lend us time to improve processes. My fear is that mentioning It to Betty would seem more like a reprimand vs a suggestion for improvement.

                  --- In GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra O'Byrne" <sandyob1@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Without having regular meetings, this may be forgotten and not even on anyones mind in August. It has happened to me and apparently many other towns have been there. Did you reach out to your MDM?
                  >
                  > Perhaps we should forward the info to Betty Garger Chief Operating Officer bgarger@..., this way it can be added to next meeting's agenda and perhaps addressed immediately.
                  >
                  > I agree, it is important for us to know what is happening in our town.
                  >

                  > Sandy O'Byrne
                  > Wood Ridge
                  > 201-804-8104
                  >

                  > Please note: message attached
                  >
                  > From: "hackensackgirlscouts" <hackensackgirlscouts@...>
                  > To: GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [GSNNJSUMS] Communicating Programs for Non-Registered Girls
                  > Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 18:27:32 -0000
                  >
                  > Good Afternoon Everyone:
                  > I am writing to see how your Service Unit handles communication of
                  > programs that the MDMs put together to recruit more girls, to the
                  > parents of girls who are already registered.
                  >
                  > Do you receive advance notice that a flyer will go out to the schools
                  > and churches from your MDM? Do you receive a copy of the flyer directly
                  > from your MDM or do you only receive it when your child brings it home
                  > from school?
                  >
                  > Our MDM is hard at work to help us reach our goal and has been sending
                  > out a lot of flyers for programs. Unfortunately we do not always know
                  > about these programs until the parents of registered girls call us and
                  > say "hey, my kid got a flyer for a program today what's this about and
                  > how come it says for non-registered girls" In many cases we have no
                  > idea that a flyer went out or what the program it is about.
                  >
                  > I am looking for a solution to reduce the confusion and fustration
                  > around this process. I received 8 phone calls over the last 3 days from
                  > parents whose children are registered in Hackensack, but attend school
                  > outside of the town. They heard about the program through another troop
                  > member and feel as though they are being excluded from a Hackensack Girl
                  > Scout program as it was only advertised in Hackensack Schools.
                  >
                  > Any advice is appreciated.

                • Kim Nestor
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2012
                    I agree with your call to your MDM first and then if it continues try the Regional Dir4ector next and move on up the chain.
                    But, I must admit, I am  jealous that your MDM is even trying to help you recruit.  We have lost numbers in the last few years and have asked for help several times, with no success.
                    Hope the communication improves, but seems that the MDM is at least trying to do her job and work for you.
                    Good Luck!

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 3, 2012
                        I agree! These one time programs are great to get girls registered and meet the annual goals but if any of those girls want to join a troop afterwards we run into trouble because we don't have enough adult leaders.

                        I'm thinking of sending a mass email to all of the registered adults in our town asking if they would like to volunteer or if they know someone who would like to volunteer. Currently we have a need for 12 new leaders in Hackensack.

                        Does anyone have any experience with this (good or bad)? I can't think of any way that sending a mass email would backfire but could be overlooking something.

                        --- In GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com, Susan Steinberg <normandsusan@...> wrote:

                        > What I'd really like is help in recruiting ADULTS.  If we can get committed adults who are willing to volunteer, commit to training, and then stick with it over time, we could get more girls.  If council could help with the adults, that would be great!
                        >
                        > Susan Steinberg
                        > Leader Girl Scout Senior Troop 903
                        > Service Unit Manager Mahwah, NJ
                        > GSNNJ Delegate to National Council 2011, 2008
                        > Lifelong Girl Scout, Recipient of First Class Award
                        > Boy Scout Venturing Crew Advisor, Crew 42
                        >
                        > Realtor, Coldwell Banker
                        > Call me if you need Real Estate help
                        > (201) 512-1239 home
                        > (201) 248-0125 cell

                      • Lady
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 3, 2012
                          Email is easy --- but a phone calls have a much greater success rate.

                          Our greatest  need is for adults who will volunteer too.  I expect our nbet of registered adults, a.k.a. Allowed drivers to go waaay down next year as bets hip costs double.