Help Needed to Help One of Our Own Mahwah Families

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 29, 2012
      Address change - Ignore first email and delete this line before forwarding.

      Hi all!

      One of our 4th grade Mahwah Girl Scout Juniors, Mary Nelson, is having surgery in 2 weeks to remove a brain tumor.  Her mom Kim is a troop co-leader.  Mary loves Girl Scouts and wants to spend at least an hour at her troop's cookie booth right after she comes out of the hospital!

      Mary would love to have cards and pictures from her Girl Scout sisters to brighten up her room and cheer her up.  Could all of our younger scouts take some time in the next couple of weeks to make cards and draw pictures for Mary?  Mail them to Mary Nelson, 471 Mahogany Ct, Mahwah, NJ 07430.

      On Saturday March 24th, the DreamRoomMakeOvers.org 501 charitable organization is going to tackle the Nelson's home in Mahwah.  Designers have been planning on dream room makeovers for Mary and her sister. At the same time, the organization will be redoing most of the house!  And all this in one day!

      This is where adults and older girls (and boys) can really come in to help.
      • You can go to the website www.DreamRoomMakeOvers.org to learn more about the organization and the Nelson project in particular.
      • You can volunteer to help by emailing DreamRoomMakeOvers@... .  A few days before the event, volunteers will get more detailed instructions.
      • You can donate money through PayPal right on the website.
      Mahwah Police is donating lunch for the expected 200+ volunteers, but breakfast, snacks, baked goods, water bottles, beverages, etc. will be needed. Plus, they'll be jobs to do outside and in preparing items for the house, sorting through stuff, staffing food tables, etc.  Teens need to be 16 to actually go in the house, but they can help outside.

      Home Depot is providing some materials but the organization is in need of other materials, money and volunteer staff.

      Please share this with other people and businesses who might like to help.

      Thank you.

      Susan Steinberg
      Leader Girl Scout Senior Troop 903
      Service Unit Manager Mahwah, NJ
      GSNNJ Delegate to National Council 2011, 2008
      Lifelong Girl Scout, Recipient of First Class Award
      Boy Scout Venturing Crew Advisor, Crew 42

    • Linda Menzel
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
        Hi I am Alexis Menzel I am  the daughter of Linda Menzel my troop leader and Park Ridge service unit manager. I am  a junior Girl Scout, and I was wondering if you could give me more info on Mary Nelson. I wanted to ask my principal if I could announce that Mary would like cards and as a school we could make a big card and have everyone in the school sign it.   Where should we send the card / cards?

                                                             Thank you,  Alexis
        Linda Menzel
        Park Ridge Girl Scouts
        CO-Service Unit Manager
        Leader Troop  # 292 / # 326
        Cell# 201-316-6631

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
          My Cadette troop would like to go on a weekend trip within an hour or so drive. Does anyone have any ideas?

          Thanks
          Missy Murtha
          SUM Jefferson
        • B ANDERSON

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
              Park Ridge Service Unit is going on May 18 - 19th.  We are awaiting our contract, but we got a special rate since we have gone several times.  Once I receive the contract I would be happy to share with you the details...perhaps you can join us!

              Linda Menzel
              Park Ridge Girl Scouts
              CO-Service Unit Manager
              Leader Troop  # 292 / # 326
              Cell# 201-316-6631

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
                My troop has been to Frost Valley several times. It's a YMCA camp in the Catskills. They love it so much they want to go every year. They will design a program for you and they also have GS weekends. Check their website www.frostvalley.org

                Their food is awesome. And their cabins are very nice, usually you can go for under $200 per person for 2 nights.

                Lorinda Walker
                Emerson SUM
                201-314-0561 cell
                201-986-7909 office

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
                  Yes. our service unit goes there every year as well...so worth the trip & money is reasonable.

                  Linda Menzel
                  Park Ridge Girl Scouts
                  CO-Service Unit Manager
                  Leader Troop  # 292 / # 326