Re: [GSNNJSUMS] leader/daughter

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2012
      We've done an ice cream social with a special patch for the girls.  Very simple and cheap - even pretty short.  The leaders and daughters just have a special treat and some time together.

      Susan Steinberg
      Leader Girl Scout Senior Troop 903
      Service Unit Manager Mahwah, NJ
      GSNNJ Delegate to National Council 2011, 2008
      Lifelong Girl Scout, Recipient of First Class Award
      Boy Scout Venturing Crew Advisor, Crew 42

    • Bonnie
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2012
        We do a Christmas cookie exchange at our Dec Leaders meeting. Each leader
        makes a batch of cookies. The daughters come and while we have our shortened
        meeting they make gift tags. Then we eat 4-6 cookies each with milk and then
        package up the rest of the cookies for distribution to various group homes,
        nursing homes, police and schools.
        So we have fun and do a service project. I think it could work for
        Valentine's Day or almost anytime.

        Bonnie
        SUM Hopatcong
      • Amy Schwartz
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2012
          We do a cake bake contest.  Last year we had Kohls come and judge all the cakes while we had a reptile guy come.  Catered sandwiches and had cake for desert.  You can choose a theme for all the cakes.  THere are rules for the bake contest.  One boxed cake, everything edible, etc.  I could get that information for you.

          Amy Schwartz
          Kittatinny SUM
          On Feb 2, 2012, at 7:54 AM, Missy Murtha wrote:

          I am looking for some ideas on a Leader/daughter event. We would like to keep the costs low. Any input would be helpful.

          Thanks in advance,
          Missy Murtha
          SUM Jefferson

        • Missy Murtha
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2012
            The web server we use for our service unit is no longer available. I wanted to see how many of you guys have a website for your service unit and what web server you use. We are looking for something that is free.

            Thanks,
            Missy Murtha
            SUM Jefferson

            p.s. Thanks for all of your ideas for a leader/daughter event!

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2012
                Park Ridge has a website - the website we use is www.webs.com - and free.  It works well enough for what we need.  One of our Girl Scouts set this up as her Silver award project.  No we are becoming more advanced we will be looking into other "more advanced" website hosting companies, but they are not free.  Hope this helps!  Good Luck!!

                Linda Menzel
                Park Ridge Girl Scouts
                CO-Service Unit Manager
                Leader Troop  # 292 / # 326
                Cell# 201-316-6631

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2012
                  I think ours is $30 or $60 a year -- probably the later since it includes a domain name.
                  Love comments if you visit: Www.partroygs.org

                  It is not up-to-date with "year of the girl" info but it has world thinking day, centennial, and journey info.  Probably "forever green" links too.  (GSNNJ has not yet picked a forever green project.  You can't get to our roster or some of the actual flyers are they are password protected. You will also notice we do not say where girls are camping.  We do list our monthly adult meetings openly -- anyone can come to those!

                  The issue, IMHO, is not creating a website; but the updating and maintenance. Our interface requires use of HTML and it is not something that "just any one" can go in and update.  :(

                  Robin
                  Current webmaster & adult rec,  parsippany GS
                  Chair, PGS centennial comm.
                  Immed. Past SUM, PGS
                  Life member, GSUSA
                  GS 1st class awardee
                • Cheryl Shadwell
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 2, 2012
                    www.godaddy.com has free sites and are really easy to set up.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2012
                      > The web server we use for our service unit is no longer available. I wanted to see how many of you guys have a website for your service unit and what web server you use. We are looking for something that is free.

                      My troop and service unit are both on qlubb.com.

                    • Lorinda Walker
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3, 2012
                        Hi,

                        You can create a free website on Weebly.com for free.  If you keep the Weebly extension your website will be free. So for example, my town girl scouts.Weebly .com. You do not need to know HTML to create the website. I agree with other posters who said it's the updating that's time consuming as you always need to be on top of it. But great idea about the silver award project! Let the girls do it-brilliant!

                        Lorinda Walker
                        Emerson SUM

                        Lorinda Walker
                        Essential Wellness & Massage Therapy
                        201-314-0561 cell
                        201-986-7909 office

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Feb 3, 2012, at 8:18 AM, mrsruncible <monkphsh@...> wrote:

                        > The web server we use for our service unit is no longer available. I wanted to see how many of you guys have a website for your service unit and what web server you use. We are looking for something that is free.

                        My troop and service unit are both on qlubb.com.

                      • hackensackgirlscouts
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 15, 2012
                          I know I'm late replying :-) but Hackensack uses GoDaddy.com as well. They have specials all the time and ended up paying 1.99 per month for 10 Gigs of hosting and 2.99 for the .org domain. I updated regulary and even have a portal for the leaders to login for more detailed information.

                          Feel free to browse

                          www.hackensackgirlscouts.org

                          Nichole Harrison
                          Hackensack SUM