Banking options?

  • Lorinda Walker
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011

      Hello fellow SUM’s,

      My town treasurer informed me that TD Bank is now charging $25 for balances under $500. She spoke to a manager and the manager would not waive it. Given that TD is not working with us I was wondering what other banks people are using and if they are more flexible with the minimum balance requirement. I know that when I opened new accounts in September for my new troops, we were told that the minimum balance requirement was waived for the first year. When I asked about the following year, the bank rep told me it would be assessed. When I complained and reminded them that they have a lot of our business and we are a non-profit she said the only way to get around it would be to close the account and then open a new one- then you would fall under the “first year minimum requirement waiver for new accounts.” This seems very messy to keep track of and a lot of unnecessary paperwork and time wasted to be closing and opening accounts. I know many of my troops do not have a $500 minimum. If any of you have found a way around this I would appreciate it. I am located in Bergen County , so ideally, I would like a bank that has a branch in my area. I would also alert your troops to check their statements carefully since TD is now charging this fee as of very recently.

      Thanks,

      Lorinda Walker

      Emerson Service Unit Manager

      Leader, Cadette Troop 1200

      201-986-7889 home

      201-314-0561 Cell

    • A. Burg-Charwat
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
        Our local branch of Lakeland bank has been very generous with community organizations. Many local groups moved away from Bank of America (and now will be moving from TD) due to high fees.  Good luck, smaller local banks might be best. Adrienne

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011

          While I have been using Lakeland bank since I became a leader 9 years ago I was just informed that beginning January 2nd, Lakeland will be charging a maintenance fee as well if the balance falls below a certain dollar amount.  My contact at the branch we have all the troop accounts in is checking to see if it can continue to be waived due to the fact that we are a non-profit.

          Good luck everyone!
          Cheryl Shadwell
          Skylands SUM
          Leader Junior troop 70703, Cadette Troop 70730 and Cadette troop 70914

        • dbb513@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
            The TD Bank Manager in Hillsdale waived our fee for accounts under $500.00 due to our account being a non-profit.

            Denise Burns
            Westwood

            > My town treasurer informed me that TD Bank is now charging $25
            > for balances
            > under $500. She spoke to a manager and the manager would not
            > waive it. Given
            > that TD is not working with us I was wondering what other banks
            > people are
            > using and if they are more flexible with the minimum balance
            > requirement. I
            > know that when I opened new accounts in September for my new
            > troops, we were
            > told that the minimum balance requirement was waived for the
            > first year.
            > When I asked about the following year, the bank rep told me it
            > would be
            > assessed. When I complained and reminded them that they have a
            > lot of our
            > business and we are a non-profit she said the only way to get
            > around it
            > would be to close the account and then open a new one- then you
            > would fall
            > under the "first year minimum requirement waiver for new
            > accounts." This
            > seems very messy to keep track of and a lot of unnecessary
            > paperwork and
            > time wasted to be closing and opening accounts. I know many of
            > my troops do
            > not have a $500 minimum. If any of you have found a way around
            > this I would
            > appreciate it. I am located in Bergen County, so ideally, I
            > would like a
            > bank that has a branch in my area. I would also alert your
            > troops to check
            > their statements carefully since TD is now charging this fee as
            > of very
            > recently.
            >

            > Thanks,
            >

            > Lorinda Walker
            >
            > Emerson Service Unit Manager
            >
            > Leader, Cadette Troop 1200
            >
            > 201-986-7889 home
            >
            > 201-314-0561 Cell

          • Lorinda Walker
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
              Hi Denise,

              The one in Emerson has done so in the past as well but is apparently not allowed any more. Was this done recently?  If so I will use that as leverage in the Emerson branch.

              Thanks,

              Lorinda Walker
              Essential Wellness & Massage Therapy
              201-314-0561 cell
              201-986-7909 office

              Sent from my iPhone

            • allison peckham
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
                So far, in Wayne, we don't pay a fee either at TD Bank

                Allison Peckham

                "Operations keeps the lights on, strategy provides a light at the end of the tunnel, but project management is the train engine that moves the organization forward." - Joy Gumz

                The TD Bank Manager in Hillsdale waived our fee for accounts under $500.00 due to our account being a non-profit.

                Denise Burns
                Westwood

                > My town treasurer informed me that TD Bank is now charging $25
                > for balances
                > under $500. She spoke to a manager and the manager would not
                > waive it. Given
                > that TD is not working with us I was wondering what other banks
                > people are
                > using and if they are more flexible with the minimum balance
                > requirement. I
                > know that when I opened new accounts in September for my new
                > troops, we were
                > told that the minimum balance requirement was waived for the
                > first year.
                > When I asked about the following year, the bank rep told me it
                > would be
                > assessed. When I complained and reminded them that they have a
                > lot of our
                > business and we are a non-profit she said the only way to get
                > around it
                > would be to close the account and then open a new one- then you
                > would fall
                > under the "first year minimum requirement waiver for new
                > accounts." This
                > seems very messy to keep track of and a lot of unnecessary
                > paperwork and
                > time wasted to be closing and opening accounts. I know many of
                > my troops do
                > not have a $500 minimum. If any of you have found a way around
                > this I would
                > appreciate it. I am located in Bergen County, so ideally, I
                > would like a
                > bank that has a branch in my area. I would also alert your
                > troops to check
                > their statements carefully since TD is now charging this fee as
                > of very
                > recently.
                >

                > Thanks,
                >

                > Lorinda Walker
                >
                > Emerson Service Unit Manager
                >
                > Leader, Cadette Troop 1200
                >
                > 201-986-7889 home
                >
                > 201-314-0561 Cell

              • allison peckham
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
                  FYI - I have forwarded the question to council to see if we can get some help with this.  Stay tuned.  Maybe the power of the whole council of GS troops will help

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
                    Valley National has been good to us in denville...

                    Mary

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
                      We are using Boiling Springs Bank in Mahwah.  They are very supportive of the GS.  In addition to not charging any monthly fees no matter the balance, they have a community savings program in place.  If you can get 20 accounts to designate a troop account as their charity, the troop will get a quarterly percentage based upon the total balance in those accounts.  We have one troop earning $800-$1000 per year for doing nothing. If you have a branch near you, check it out. Our bank manager is great.  She keeps all the GS paperwork, a troop comes in to set up an account, and then she'll notify me or my co-sum to come in and sign it at our convenience. When we first got started, she came to several of our Leader meetings. If you have questions, you can call Patty at 201-512-9300.  They have also put together curriculum for all GS levels and will do whatever we ask for program and tours.  They have sponsored our council events for the past couple of years too.

                      BTW, TD wasn't charging fees by us.  Then they were.  I spoke with a VP at TD corporate and our Finance director at GSNNJ and they said, "sorry, but the charges are staying even for a non-profit."  We changed banks, TD stopped charging and started showing up as flyers at SUM meetings.  I don't know whether they are charging again or not.  Most of our troops have moved to Boiling Springs.

                      Susan Steinberg
                      Leader Girl Scout Senior Troop 903
                      Service Unit Manager Mahwah, NJ
                      GSNNJ Delegate to National Council 2011, 2008
                      Lifelong Girl Scout, Recipient of First Class Award
                      Boy Scout Venturing Crew Advisor, Crew 42

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 19, 2011
                        New coleader added this year and went into bank to do it and asked about the $25.00 fee they charged.  They said that the account wasnt set up as not for profit and that it would be waived from now on.  It was done in either Sept or Oct. 2011

                      • Sandra O'Byrne
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 19, 2011
                          Hi Lorinda,
                          we use Kearney Federal. No fees & free checks with a $25 balance. Our branch said there were some in your area, you can check it out if you like.

                          Have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year,

                          Sandy
                          201-804-8104

                          Please note: message attached

                          From: Lorinda Walker <lorinda@...>
                          To: GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:50:14 -0500
                        • Evelyn
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 12, 2012
                            PNC BANK has a non-for-profit accounts with no monthly fee, no min and best your first order of checks is free. The branch in Bergenfield has beeb very supportive of GS. Our troops have had tours at the Branch. Staff from PNC bank has come out to our Oinning Ceremony. We are now hoping to be able to set up a cookie booth in front of the branch.

                            Evelyn
                            --- In GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com, Lorinda Walker <lorinda@...> wrote:

                            > Hello fellow SUM's,
                            >

                            > My town treasurer informed me that TD Bank is now charging $25 for balances
                            > under $500. She spoke to a manager and the manager would not waive it. Given
                            > that TD is not working with us I was wondering what other banks people are
                            > using and if they are more flexible with the minimum balance requirement. I
                            > know that when I opened new accounts in September for my new troops, we were
                            > told that the minimum balance requirement was waived for the first year.
                            > When I asked about the following year, the bank rep told me it would be
                            > assessed. When I complained and reminded them that they have a lot of our
                            > business and we are a non-profit she said the only way to get around it
                            > would be to close the account and then open a new one- then you would fall
                            > under the "first year minimum requirement waiver for new accounts." This
                            > seems very messy to keep track of and a lot of unnecessary paperwork and
                            > time wasted to be closing and opening accounts. I know many of my troops do
                            > not have a $500 minimum. If any of you have found a way around this I would
                            > appreciate it. I am located in Bergen County, so ideally, I would like a
                            > bank that has a branch in my area. I would also alert your troops to check
                            > their statements carefully since TD is now charging this fee as of very
                            > recently.
                            >

                            > Thanks,
                            >

                            > Lorinda Walker
                            >
                            > Emerson Service Unit Manager
                            >
                            > Leader, Cadette Troop 1200
                            >
                            > 201-986-7889 home
                            >
                            > 201-314-0561 Cell

                          • Christine Brown
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 12, 2012

                              PNC Bank is very good – they have non-profit accounts, good hours, they give tours, and welcome cookie sales.

                              Christine Brown

                              Long Hill Township