Welcome new members! What's up?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2011

      Great to see new SUMs joining - please remember to mention this group to any new Service Unit Managers that you know, especially if you are leaving the group and moving on!

      Welcome.  The group is what you make of it.  I suspect that we'll do a round of introductions in Sept/October when more of us are thinking about Girl Scouts.

      Personally, I am finishing my last year as SUM for Parsippany but will remain in this group (& on the Parsippany Service Team & our "100 club to help celebrate the 100th Anniversary).    Summer is pretty quiet for Parsippany Girl Scouts - hmmm,  at least there is no SU meeting in July, but we are making plans for the next year.  Virtually every year Parsippany Girl Scouts do:
      • Fall Recognition Ceremony (for Bronze & Silver awardees) - I think this year is the 4th annual,
      • all level Spring Encampment (at least 10% of girls in town - I don't think there is space for more than 20% of our girls to go at once!),
      • "older girl" winter encampment,
      • Father-Daughter event (probably Bowling in Feb. 2012),
      • GS Sunday services in town,
      • marching in the Memorial day parade (over 15% of GS in town did last year),
      • local requirements for a GS week patch (about 20% of GS in town did last year), and
      • participating in the "Badges for Thinking Day Group".
      This year we will be asking for (GSNNJ) National convention delegates to talk to us about the issues that will be voted on *before* they go so our opinions will be known, and ask them to talk to us after they get back.  And we expect there to be some discussion of the new GGGGS "handbooks" and also more on Journeys/silver and gold as "the one way" is phased out.  One of our stretch goals may be to  make our website more usable for the girls/families and not just organized for leaders/volunteers.

      Parsippany Girl Scouts is also planning some activities especially for the Centennial:
      • 11/13 in-town bridging ceremony for those not going to the GW bridge,
      • hoping to all light candles on 3/12,
      • 100 service project -- hopefully more than just 100 bulbs planted for town,
      • seeing if we can get our town to be a Green Hour town & also some historic sites in town to participate,
      • a special town GS patch for this year,
      •  telling all the GS in town about:
        • 100th anniv product sales specials
        • GSNNJ 100th events & GSNNJ patch requirements,
        • the GSUSA Green projects GSNNJ is selecting as their "one"  - once we know.  ( I don't  expect them to announce before school starts, I have not heard any suggestion of when they will decide although I would love to hear early.)
        • and any GSUSA 100 plans we learn.  (Heard a rumor that girls born near the 100th anniversary might be able to be "life members" from birth!)
      Love to hear of any plans from other Service Units!  There are ideas & flyers from other year's events in the files sections   too.

      Robin
    • aaborkowski@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2011
        Great programs and ideas - I am investigating the Badges for World Thinking Day group for Pequannock.

        We do many of the same programs, but another one that I'd like to share with the others is our participation in Make A Difference Day.  We work with Samaritan's Purse on their Operation Christmas Child and last year provided 188 boxes for delivery to African children.  It is a great program - here is the link:

        http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/

        They also have patches which we ordered for the girls that participated.

        Alex Ann
        Pequannock Co-SUM