National Convention Issues?

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2010
      (I had to miss this month's SUM meeting, although the SU was represented.)
      I was surprised to read in the notes that applications for national delegate positions are due in less than a month. I have attached part of what I am planning to send out to leaders in my town - I am so glad we have email set up; our next SU meeting is not until after the deadline.
      Has anyone heard any other potential voting issues for the convention?

      Thanks,
         Robin  (co-SUM)
       = = = = =
      Do you want to be a delegate to the GSUSA National Convention in Texas on Nov. 10-13, 2011 (& have council pay your way)? Application attached  - due to council by January 3rd.  (informationfor girls to apply to the Leadership Institute just before the convention to follow, probably next month.)  The National Convention is held every 3 years
      and the way for GSUSA to hear what we are thinking.  Possible issues to be voted on:
          - allowing councils to add $ for an  annual "council fee" in addition to the GSUSA $14 registration fee.
          - reducing the amount of change in Bronze, Silver & Gold Awards (if they get enough signatures) To learn more or to sign the petition yourself, visit http://new.petitiononline.com/GSNNJ10/petition.html.)
          - having a "rolling membership year" - dues would still be annual, but the "year" would start for each girl on the day that she paid, and not end on 30 September.
       = = = = = =
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010
        The stability issue on Bronze, Silver, Gold may be a discussion at convention, but it will not be a voted on topic.  The deadline passed.  I submitted the paperwork to Helen to make it a discussion after she forwarded me the form.

        There's another issue out there too:

        A council has proposed that a new level of Girl Scouting be created, the Gold level to be above Ambassador.
        - I personally don't get this one as GS level is based on grade not accomplishment like the Boy Scouts.

        2012480125@... text message address
        Coldwell Banker Real Estate Consultant
        300 Lake Street
        Ramsey, NJ 07446

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2010
          Robin...who is bringing up these issues?
          GSNNJ or a service unit?

          Teresa
        • Lady
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2010
            The su has little, if any influence,  on national gsusa issues.  Parsippany however, very often has a voting delegate there &/or a non-voting girl at the leadership institute.  At least x councils have to agree for an item to be sent to the exec board if GSUSA which then decides on what can be voted on.

            The stability of awards did not get enough support for a vote but will bd discussed.  The other 2 issues had enough support for councils nationwide that they are possibilities, but we won't know for a while.

            I was trying go give a flavor of what might go on at a nation convention.  In 1979, the national convention voted on whether to adopt the new logo for the GSUSA pin, keep the old GSUSA pin that Juliette designed, or allow both.  I do not think the convention hard any say on the recent change to the logo.

            Does that help? There is more online about the national convention & all the rules.  Let me know if you want links to ghe constitution, etc.

            Hope this helps,
                 Robin

            Sent from my iPod, mostly thumbs

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 10, 2010