Service Unit Camping.. Where do you go?

  • whartonminehilldover
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2010
      I would love to hear where other service units going camping.

      In the past we have done Jockey Hollow, Lake Rickabear and Camp Johnsonberg.

      We are looking for some different ideas this year for a 1 night service unit camping trip.

      Thank You,

      Lisa Rodriguez
      Wharton/Mine Hill/Dover
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2010
        We're going to Glen Spey this May.  It's been years, but we used to go to YMCA camp Spears Eljabar.

        The Boy Scouts held a jamboree with over 1000 attendees at Campgaw County Park in Mahwah.  However, they cooked their own so no food service.

        2012480125@... text message address
        Coldwell Banker Real Estate Consultant
        300 Lake Street
        Ramsey, NJ 07446

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2010

          My SU is doing an encampment this weekend at Camp Mariah.    Its one of several camps on Sharpe Reservation in Fishkill, NY.   The price is reasonable, they provide food service and heated cabins and they're very accomodating when it comes to badgework.   We've been doing encampments there for several years now.

          Kathleen Haft
          Montville SU

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2010
            On 11/8/2010 10:42 AM, whartonminehilldover wrote:

            I would love to hear where other service units going camping.

            In the past we have done Jockey Hollow, Lake Rickabear and Camp Johnsonberg.

            We've gone to Mogisca, Jockey Hollow & Camp Hoover.

            Our spring SU encampment has "always"(*) been at Mogisca.  Jockey Hollow and Rickabear are too small for that.
            * - OK, only about 25 years that I know of.  We're trying Camp Glen Spey this year, but troops that want cabins instead of tents will have to RSVP quickly!

            Is the camp next to Edith Macy too far for you?  That might be neat - although I don't know the rates.

            Robin

          • smbressler@aol.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2010

                Hi Lisa,

                We have done town-wides at Glen Spey and Frost Valley . My girls loved Frost Valley so much that we have been there 4 times. (We are 6th grade Cadettes). The food is excellent, with vegetarian options available and they are very health conscious with the food choices, always offering an excellent salad bar as well as fruit. The accommodations are very good and you can see the pictures of what the rooms look like on the website. We just came back from a Halloween themed weekend a few weeks ago. My girls did High Ropes adventure course, cable bride hike, a hike around the lake, tye-dying, candle making, rock climbing on a 50 ft outdoor climbing wall, archery, a Halloween fashion show where they got to wear their costumes and a haunted house trail at night. They absolutely loved it We have also done the equestrian weekend and the girls spend the majority of time in the barn learning about horse care. They get to ride Saturday and Sunday. Because they are safely in the barn, the moms got to enjoy other activities like hiking, rowing and yoga. It’s located in the Catskills, about an hour and 45 minute drive from Bergen County . We paid $179 per person for our most recent trip which included 2 nights accommodations, activities, and food Saturday and Sunday. You get 3 meals on Saturday and breakfast and lunch on Sunday. Snacks are available at all times, even Friday night, so you will not go hungry. J I only had about 20 people this last trip, so I think if you had more people the price would be lower. Still, the moms and I always marvel at how much you get for your money at FV.

                Whether you choose to go on a designated Girl Scout weekend or during one of the regular weekends, they will customize a program for you so you can earn requirements towards badges and try-its. They will also help you build your campfire as every accommodation has an outdoor fire ring. They supply one bundle of wood. I highly recommend this place. It is clean, well run, reasonably priced and there are plenty of activities to keep the girls very busy.

                Another place you might want to consider is Split Rock Resort in PA. We had a town wide there last year. Their claim to fame is an excellent indoor water park (sort of like Great Wolf Lodge). However, we could not get into the water park until after dinner. During the day we had a choice of bowling or mini golf. There was also some badge work offered, but this place is new to serving Girl Scouts and as a result, the programs were not as plentiful, the food was junk (chicken nuggets and mac & cheese for dinner, served buffet style), and although the girls had fun, they aren’t asking to go back there. It was a one night deal and we stayed in very nice hotel rooms which were more like 2 bedroom suites.

                Split Rock is someplace to try once, but Frost Valley has been different every time, so the girls always vote to go back there. We tried booking Spears Eljabar but could not find a date that worked. They get booked up many months in advance, as does Frost Valley .

                Best wishes,

                Lorinda Walker

                Emerson