GS uniforms to be made in USA

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2010
      GSUSA has "altered our request for proposal to require that Girl Scout uniforms be manufactured in the United States."  . . .  "We thank the many Girl Scout parents and volunteers who stood up for their beliefs and showed our 2.4 million girls that every voice makes a difference. They are the role models who help build girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place."
      For the whole statement from GSUSA, see:
      >http://blog.girlscouts.org/2010/11/statement-on-girl-scout-uniform.html

      Girl Scouts: Uniforms to be US-made
      Monday, November 1, 2010
      The Record, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

      NEWARK — The Girl Scouts of the USA announced Monday its uniforms will continue to be made in America following a public uproar over reports it was considering bids from overseas manufacturers.

      The owners of a family run Passaic, N.J., factory that has been the main supplier of Girl Scout uniforms and sashes for year were told recently that the organization would be seeking bids for the job — including from a company in China.

      Girl Scouts spokeswoman Michelle Tompkins said the organization, which has its national headquarters in New York City, had been contacted by parents, members and volunteers urging it to keep the uniforms American-made. She said the contract hadn't been awarded but the bid request had been modified to require that the uniforms be made domestically and that companies adhere to strict guidelines regarding worker age, treatment and safety.

      "We thank the many Girl Scout parents and volunteers who stood up for their beliefs and showed our 2.4 million girls that every voice makes a difference," Tompkins said. "They are the role models who help build girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place."

      The announcement was welcomed by the owners of the Jackie Evans Inc. factory, which has been the main supplier for Girl Scouts uniforms for nearly a decade.

      "That's great that they're doing that," said Mario Monaco, who works alongside his father and brother in the business. "We wanted to keep jobs in the United States and keep jobs in Passaic. Now we have to see what happens."

      Monaco said the family would be submitting a bid and hoped the process would be fair and transparent.

      In a story first published last week in Woodland Park's Herald News newspaper, the owners of the factory said the loss of its sole client could mean layoffs for its more than 90 workers and could force it to close.

      Girl Scouts of the USA calls itself the world's pre-eminent organization dedicated solely to girls. It says it helps girls build character, values and leadership skills for success in the real world.

      Since the Girl Scouts organization was founded in 1912, it has grown from 18 members in Savannah, Ga., to 3.4 million members throughout the United States, U.S. territories and more than 90 countries worldwide, its website says.

      NEWARK — The Girl Scouts of the USA announced Monday its uniforms will continue to be made in America following a public uproar over reports it was considering bids from overseas manufacturers.

      >http://www.northjersey.com/news/110110_Girl_Scouts_Uniforms_to_be_US-made.html

      Girl Scouts Uniforms Will Be Made In The U.S.A.

      "After days of public outrage when it was revealed that the Girl Scouts of America was accepting bids for new uniforms and sashes from overseas manufacturers, including one in China, the girls organization said that it would only accept bids from U.S.-based companies, according to the Associated Press." . . . "Teachable moment for our Girl Scouts and their siblings and supporters? Or a distraction valuing 90 real New Jersey jobs over budgeted dollars-and-cents in costs for those millions of Scouts families?
      It’s worth considering how we spend our money on other touchstones of the American girl experience." . . .

      For whole article , see:
      >http://blogs.forbes.com/carolinehoward/2010/11/01/girl-scouts-uniforms-will-be-made-in-the-u-s-a/

       = = = =

    • tjk1025@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2010
        As I believe....girls voices can be heard and make a difference!!!
        Happy News!!
      • Sandra O'Byrne
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2010
          So happy to see this is going in a positive direction. Much thanks to all the Girl Scouts and parents who voiced their opposition,

          Sandy

          Please note: message attached

          From: RJ Herbison <wubison@...>
          To: GSNNJSUMS@yahoogroups.com