Help - Cheap DJ needed fast

    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2010
      Does anyone have the name of a dj?  Preferably a cheap one.  I had a problem with mine and I'm running a dance this Friday in Mahwah.  I've got plenty of music, but need a better sound system.
      2012480125@... text message address
      Coldwell Banker Real Estate Consultant
      300 Lake Street
      Ramsey, NJ 07446

    • tjk1025@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2010
        Roger Quinlan from Fair Lawn. We use him for our GS events, he does a great job.
        201-694-8755, tell Teresa Glenn from Oradell referred him.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2010

          Hello Wise SUM’s,

          This is Lorinda from Emerson. I am looking for some ideas for a town wide recruitment in the fall. In the past we have done what we call American Pride Day. We held it at the HS parking lot, always on the Saturday closest to 9/11. All the troops would have a table where they would have a patriotic game or craft. We had a DJ and a motivational female speaker. One year we sang patriotic songs while my brother video taped us. We sent the CD to a dad of one of our scouts who was in Iraq . Though we love this event, we have been doing it for 10 years and are looking for something a little different. I would love to know what you all do for recruitment in the fall I would be open to doing an event in June but our school district does not allow us to schedule anything on school property after June 7th.

          Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

          Lorinda Walker

          Emerson SUM

          Lorinda Walker

          Essential Wellness & Massage Therapy

          For the health you deserve.

          201-986-7909

          http://lorinda.vibrantscents.com/goland2

          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2010
            I'm running a Daisy event later this month.  For incoming and current (non-GS) kindergarteners and their parent.

            Current Girl Scouts (1st grade and up) will lead activities for the girls while the "moms" get to talk with adults and do paperwork.

            The activities will be:
            - GS promise
            - Learn a Daisy song or two
            - Do a service project - Color a smile
            - Make no-cook s'mores (using marshmallow fluff- it's a craft, a snack and a GS tradition all rolled in one)
            - If there's time, they'll play some games

            One hour, no muss or fuss

            Message 5 of 7 , May 5, 2010
              Lorinda Walker wrote:

               a town wide recruitment in the fall. I

              my concern with big recruitment events is not taking girls' checks until we have leaders.  How do you handle that?  one year we had lots of girls and none of them had any family members that were willing/able to step up as a leader.

              I would say that our issue is more that we need leaders than girls...

              Robin
              (PArsippany)
              Message 6 of 7 , May 5, 2010
                Susan Steinberg wrote:

                Does anyone have the name of a dj?  Preferably a cheap one.  I had a problem with mine and I'm running a dance this Friday in Mahwah.
                A leader I trust said
                "this guy is good. We used him for a father daughter. He's actually in South Jersey but comes up here. He is reliable-good w/ kid stuff really had them hopping.

                Bob Albrecht   800-386-3573 "
                she is looking for another name too.  Good luck.

                Robin (Parsippany)
              • Lorinda Walker
                Message 7 of 7 , May 5, 2010

                  Hi Robin,

                  What I did last year at our American Pride Day recruitment was gather all the registrations. While the parent was signing up the child I asked if they were willing to be a leader. I told them there could be no troop without many volunteers and they would have to devote some time to the start up of their daughter’s troop. I would also say to them that as the leader, they get to pick the schedule that suits them and pick the activities that they like best, so this works really well for the “helicopter parent” as they like to be in control. Once I had all of the registrations, I tried to evenly divide the girls into troops based on parental commitment I then e-mailed all of the parents to let them know who the leaders were and that they should be prepared to assist. I think recruitment is just as much about getting parents as it is girls so I made it a point to sell the parents on being involved. This is my second year as SUM, so I am sure there are a lot more experienced SUM’s out there with other opinions. Anyone?

                  My son joined Boy Scouts last year and I really liked their model. They had a recruitment meeting in June and spoke to all the parents and basically told us that we would be responsible for taking turns running the meetings and that we all had to pitch in and help. This way, one person does not get burned out bearing the whole responsibility. It worked really well for our Den as there are 8 boys and each month a different parent is in charge of the meeting.

                  Thanks,