372Fw: Support Healthy Media for Girls (H.R. 2513/S.1354) REVISED
- Sep 2, 2011Here's a chance to take a political action step towards supporting healthy media images for girls. Here are the NJ Senators email contacts and the 5th District Congressional Representative. If you are in an area with a different congressman, please adjust accordingly. Info on the bill to support is below in this email.For Senator Frank Lautenberg - http://lautenberg.senate.gov/contact/index1.cfmFor Senator Robert Menendez - http://menendez.senate.gov/contact/?i=CHDFor Congressman Scott Garrett - http://garrett.house.gov/Contact/Susan SteinbergLeader Girl Scout Senior Troop 903Service Unit Manager Mahwah, NJGSNNJ Delegate to National Council 2008 (Alternate 2011)Lifelong Girl Scout, Recipient of First Class AwardBoy Scout Venturing Crew Advisor, Crew 42Realtor, Coldwell BankerCall me if you need Real Estate help(201) 512-1239 home
(201) 248-0125 cell----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Girl Scouts of the USA <advocacy@...>
To: Susan Steinberg <normandsusan@...>
Sent: Friday, September 2, 2011 8:55 AM
Subject: Support Healthy Media for Girls (H.R. 2513/S.1354) REVISEDIf you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.
Be A Voice for Girls! Support the Healthy Media for Youth ActWe need your help to encourage your Members of Congress to sponsor House Bill 2513/Senate Bill 1354 today!Kids are surrounded by media. From television to movies to social media and new technologies, kids are consuming up to 10 hours of recreational media each day. Unfortunately, media doesn’t always promote healthy images of girls. Girl Scouts’ research tells us that girls are very influenced by what they see in the media, and that it can have a significant impact on their self-esteem, body image, and leadership aspirations.To address this issue, Girl Scouts has worked with Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin (WI) and Senator Kay Hagan (NC) on the Healthy Media for Youth Act (H.R. 2513/S 1354). This legislation would:
Take action today and send a message to your U.S. Representative and Senator asking them to cosponsor this important bill that impacts all girls.
- Provide competitive grants for organizations like Girl Scouts, that provide media literacy programming and leadership development that helps empower girls.
- Support research to help us better understand the impact of media on youth development.
- Create a federal task force to develop voluntary recommendations that help the media industry put forward healthy images of women and girls.