Re: GSBN:Loadbearing sb with moisture damage

  • GSBN
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 7, 2006
      Laura,

      Sorry I'm a bit late with this, but wanted to let you know that we
      have cut away quite large portions of load-bearing walls with no ill-
      effects. Under the supervision of the structural engineer on one
      project, we cut openings as large as 42 inches wide by 60 inches high
      (this was to install windows) with no ill effects, and no additional
      bracing or posts being added. This always gave me some confidence
      that sections of wet wall could be dealt with fairly easily (though
      thankfully haven't had to do it).

      We cut the walls with a rented concrete saw (like a big skilsaw for
      cutting road paving). We had to cut from both sides, as the blade
      wasn't quite big enough to go all the way through.

      Chris
      ----

      For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, send email to GSBN@... with HELP in the SUBJECT line.
      ----
    • Athena & Bill Steen
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 10, 2006

        > The idea of making a buck like a picture frame, flat, is
        > intersting. What
        > happens on the inside? What do you attach lath to? Does your
        > waterproof
        > membrane stop at the front face? How do you insulate next to the jamb?
        >
        > John "Say What?" Swearingen

        Well, without committing myself, I'll say that there are lots of
        options when it comes to the inside. I say that because after having
        shown/taught this method to a lot of folks over the past several
        years, we've seen a variety of approaches. For example, the most
        different method I've seen is one guy who framed out a bevel from the
        edge of the window back to the bales and filled the cavity with
        insulation. That's not me, but thought I oughta mention it. Others
        have attached rigid insulation to the back of the buck and then lath/
        plaster over it. Wood molding, tiles, copper, I guess it's kind of a
        what do you have/like affair. In our mud-happy approach we tend to
        just throw on a bunch of our heavy straw and clay plaster, shaping it
        in a variety of ways that includes beveling, curving, etc. On the
        outside it seems the most sensible to keep the waterproofing/papering
        that happens above the sill/pan area limited to the wood buck/
        vertical 2xs and not have it extend out over the bales. If metal
        lath is used it can easily extend from the wood framing out to the
        straw. In short, I guess what I'm saying is that there is enough
        room to finish, waterproof and/or insulate in a numerous ways.

        B...

        Athena & Bill Steen
        The Canelo Project
        HC1 Box 324