Re: [GRARA] Re:"Shake up Your Hamfest"

  • Wilson
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hey Jack,

      Look at the photograph section. That looks like what they are referring too. There web site is setup with just the main URL, with just internal type links to the different sections with in the site.

      KD8DEG  Tom

          Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
          From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
      Subject: [GRARA] "Shake up Your Hamfest"
            To: grara@yahoogroups. com

> [...]
      > the show.
      >
      > Here are a few suggestions that we have used at the Skyview Radio
      > Society's < http://www.skyviewr adio.net/ > events.  Feel free to
      use
      > them at your club's next event.
      >
      > Car Show
      >
      > Our club has been doing this for a few years now. Some have classic
      > cars, hot rods, bikes or whatever. Leave some preferred parking for
      them
      > as incentive to bring their fancy car to your fest. Folks really
      enjoy
      > looking over these between looking at that old GE receiver card and
      that
      > old, busted, early Palm Pilot with no docking station for $10.00.
      > Depending on your hamfest situation it doesn't cost you anything
      extra
      > to do and people really enjoy it!
      >
      > Jam Session
      >
      > Many hams are also pretty good musicians. Why not advertise on your
      > hamfest fliers for folks to bring their instruments. This has been
      great
      > fun every year at our hamfest some time now. Wait until later in
      your
      > fest to get started. Promote it on your PA system. Try it, you'll
      like it.

      > Culinary Delights
      >
      > Do you do your own cooking for your hamfest? Try something
      different.
      > Come up with a signature dish and give it a cute hammy name. At our
      fest
      > we have the Skyview Burger and the Skyview Dipole Hotdog. Both are
      spicy
      > and sloppy.  Most folks will break a sweat so much that when you're
      done
      > eating them you normally need a shower. Folk love them! Here is a
      tip:
      > Don't buy low quality generic food. Get the good stuff and charge
      for
      > it. People don't mind paying extra if they feel they are getting
      > something special for their money. Taste is a very strong sense and
      > emotion. They will be back to your fest next year, with friends.
      >
      > Paparazzi
      >
      > Take lots of pictures of your event especially pictures of people
      having
      > fun. Crop out unnecessary background images and post the pictures
      on
      > your club web site soon after the event. It's not as good as
      getting you
      > face on the cover of QST but it's nice to see your smiling mug on a
      web
      > site.
      >
      > The hamfest season is just about over here in the northeast so this
      is a
      > good time to plan for next year.  I hope some of these suggestions
      might
      > help your club with its next hamfest. They have worked well for us.
      Use

      ----- End message from n8xx@... -----

            Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
            From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
              To: grara@yahoogroups. com

> [...]
        > shake it up. Let's get some young folks interested and make your
        fest
        > much more memorable for everybody. Good luck and I hope that old
        rusty
        > D-104 you got from that box on the ground works out for you. I
        think you
        > got a good deal on it.
        > ============ ========= ======
        > The ARRL CLUB NEWS is an e-mail digest of news and information of
        > interest to active members of ARRL Affiliated Clubs.
        >
        > Material from The ARRL CLUB NEWS may be republished or reproduced
        in
        > whole or in part in any form without additional permission. Credit
        must
        > be given to The ARRL CLUB NEWS and The American Radio Relay League.
        >
        > Past issues of The ARRL CLUB NEWS are available at

        ----- End message from n8xx@... -----

      • Gary W8GL
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
          All,
          Great ideas to stir up interest at GRARA Hamfest 2010! I especially like the idea about the open music jam concept. I think we should either, a): get one of Dave Devos' groups to perform a short set, just before the end of the swap, just prior to announcing the grandprize winner's name, or, b): volunteer Joe Bell on drums, Ron Fredricks, Bob Robinson, and Jack Kunnen on guitars, Steve Kaney on trumpet, myself on bass or saxophone, and ask Jean, AC8AR, to be female vocalist, and any other AROs that would like to participate as the core band. We could then, in pre-swap promotion, (postcards, flyers, & website) and over the PA system the day of the swap, throughout the show, make announcements to invite anyone in the house to come up and jam. I could provide a full PA system, including PA amps, speakers, guitar amps, mics, soundboard, snake, hook-up cords, plus extra right-handed guitars for guest jammers, or we could tell everyone ahead of the swap date to bring their own favorite instruments. Then, here's the best part-- we sell disposable ear plugs at the GRARA front table, for $5.00/ pair, with all proceeds going to support GRARA! Now that's entertainment!
          Wha-dee-ya think??
          W8GLguitarGARY

          To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

              Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
              From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                To: grara@yahoogroups. com

          ----- End message from n8xx@... -----

                Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
                From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                  To: grara@yahoogroups. com

> [...]
            > shake it up. Let's get some young folks interested and make your
            fest
            > much more memorable for everybody. Good luck and I hope that old
            rusty
            > D-104 you got from that box on the ground works out for you. I
            think you
            > got a good deal on it.
            > ============ ========= ======
            > The ARRL CLUB NEWS is an e-mail digest of news and information of
            > interest to active members of ARRL Affiliated Clubs.
            >
            > Material from The ARRL CLUB NEWS may be republished or reproduced
            in
            > whole or in part in any form without additional permission. Credit
            must
            > be given to The ARRL CLUB NEWS and The American Radio Relay League.
            >
            > Past issues of The ARRL CLUB NEWS are available at

            ----- End message from n8xx@... -----

            Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

          • wd8usa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
              I would be more than happy to break a drum head or two for the cause! Just DO NOT ask me to play WIPEOUT! (although I can) DE WD8USDA   ...-.-

              Me on guitar, there aren't ear plugs made that would block that kind of noise

              Jack

              On Oct 5, 2009, at 1:20 PM, Gary W8GL wrote:

              All,
              Great ideas to stir up interest at GRARA Hamfest 2010! I especially like the idea about=2 0the open music jam concept. I think we should either, a): get one of Dave Devos' groups to perform a short set, just before the end of the swap, just prior to announcing the grandprize winner's name, or, b): volunteer Joe Bell on drums, Ron Fredricks, Bob Robinson, and Jack Kunnen on guitars, Steve Kaney on trumpet, myself on bass or saxophone, and ask Jean, AC8AR, to be female vocalist, and any other AROs that would like to participate as the core band. We could then, in pre-swap promotion, (postcards, flyers, & website) and over the PA system the day of the swap, throughout the show, make announcements to invite anyone in the house to come up and jam. I could provide a full PA system, including PA amps, speakers, guitar amps, mics, soundboard, snake, hook-up cords, plus extra right-handed guitars for guest jammers, or we could tell everyone ahead of the swap date to bring their own favorite instruments. Then, here's the best part-- we sell disposable ear plugs at the GRARA front table, for $5.00/ pair, with all proceeds going to support GRARA! Now that's entertainment!
              Wha-dee-ya think??
              W8GLguitarGARY

              To: GRARA@yahoogroups. com

                  Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
                  From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                    To: grara@yahoogroups. com

> [...]
              think you
              > got a good deal on it.
              > ============ ========= ======
              > The ARRL CLUB NEWS is an e-mail digest of news and information of
              > interest to active members of ARRL Affiliated Clubs.
              >
              > Material from The ARRL CLUB NEWS may be republished or reproduced
              in
              > whole or in part in any form without additional permission. Credit
              must
              > be given to The ARRL CLUB NEWS and The American Radio Relay League.
              >
              > Past issues of The ARRL CLUB NEWS are available at
              > http://www.arrl. org/FandES/ field/club/ clubnews/ . Issues are posted
              > this page after publication.
              > ============ ========= ========= ========= =========

              ----- End message from n8xx@... -----

              Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

            • Jack Amelar
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
                Or maybe something a little more simple and mellow, like some solos or duets?

                ----- Message from gary_lauff@... ---------
                    Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 13:20:25 -0400
                    From: Gary W8GL <gary_lauff@...>
                      To: grara@yahoogroups.com

                > All,
                >
                > Great ideas to stir up interest at GRARA Hamfest 2010! I especially

                > like the idea about the open music jam concept. I think we should
                > either, a): get one of Dave Devos' groups to perform a short set,
                > just before the end of the swap, just prior to announcing the
                > grandprize winner's name, or, b): volunteer Joe Bell on drums, Ron
                > Fredricks, Bob Robinson, and Jack Kunnen on guitars, Steve Kaney on

                > trumpet, myself on bass or saxophone, and ask Jean, AC8AR, to be
                > female vocalist, and any other AROs that would like to participate
                as
                > the core band. We could then, in pre-swap promotion, (postcards,
                > flyers, & website) and over the PA system the day of the swap,
                > throughout the show, make announcements to invite anyone in the
                house
                > to come up and jam. I could provide a full PA system, including PA
                > amps, speakers, guitar amps, mics, soundboard, snake, hook-up
                cords,
                > plus extra right-handed guitars for guest jammers, or we could tell

                > everyone ahead of the swap date to bring their own favorite
                > instruments. Then, here's the best part-- we sell disposable ear
                > plugs at the GRARA front table, for $5.00/ pair, with all proceeds
                > going to support GRARA! Now that's entertainment!
                >
                > Wha-dee-ya think??
                >
                > W8GLguitarGARY

                ----- End message from gary_lauff@... -----
              • K8TB
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
                  Hello GRARA.

                  As the chairman of the Holland Super Swap (Oct 17th), I have
                  set aside one complimentary table in GRARA's name.
                  Would someone like to claim this for GRARA to use for their promotion?

                  Just let me know who :)

                  Tom Bosscher K8TB

                  Chairman, Holland ARC Super Swap
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2009
                    Tom,

                    I'll claim the table for GRARA, thank you for doing this

                    Jack, AB8ND
                    President GRARA

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 7, 2009
                      Tom,
                      Thanks so much! Thank is very kind of the Holland club. I will plan to be one of the folks manning the table, as I will have things to sell. Will it be located on an outter wall, so that we can display our GRARA banner on the wall?
                      Also, will there be any type of "road kill chilli" dinner on Friday night? I apologize, as I haven't been reading the HARA blogs.
                      W8GLguitarGARY

                      To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 10, 2009
                        Gary,, W8GL and Jack, AB8ND,

                        I will have an envelope waiting for you guys Saturday morning that
                        will have your table number , which happens to be # 35.

                        tom bosscher k8tb