"Shake up Your Hamfest"

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
      Since we're talking about the future of the GRARA Hamfest, this excerpt
      from the very recent ARRL Club Newsletter seems very germane! It seems
      that hamfests which celebrate a "niche" will do well, run of the mill
      hamfests will continue to decline. Which type of hamfest do we wish to
      provide?

      ===================

      From: ARRL Club Newsletter
      September 30, 2009
      © 2009 American Radio Relay League, Inc
      Reprinted by permission

      Shake Up Your Hamfest.
      By Bob Bastone,
      WC3O radiofreebob@...

      Have you ever been to a hamfest? I am sure that many of you have and you
      know what to expect. A general rule for veteran 'festers is to get
      there early to look over the stuff and keep an eye under the table for
      those goodies that others miss. Attendees at a hamfest are an eclectic
      bunch. There are the newly licensed operators, the soon to be licensed
      and the old-timers. Whether it's new gear or back breaking antiques,
      a.k.a boat anchors, there is something for everyone. You could even buy
      a raffle ticket and hope for the best.

      Not much is different with hamfests all over the country but it doesn't
      have to be that way. A hamfests is a perfect opportunity to try
      something new. Ideas don't have to break the budget but they can be
      something that offers the crowd something just for making the trip to
      the show.

      Here are a few suggestions that we have used at the Skyview Radio
      Society's < http://www.skyviewradio.net/ > events. Feel free to use
      them at your club's next event.

      Car Show

      Our club has been doing this for a few years now. Some have classic
      cars, hot rods, bikes or whatever. Leave some preferred parking for them
      as incentive to bring their fancy car to your fest. Folks really enjoy
      looking over these between looking at that old GE receiver card and that
      old, busted, early Palm Pilot with no docking station for $10.00.
      Depending on your hamfest situation it doesn't cost you anything extra
      to do and people really enjoy it!

      Jam Session

      Many hams are also pretty good musicians. Why not advertise on your
      hamfest fliers for folks to bring their instruments. This has been great
      fun every year at our hamfest some time now. Wait until later in your
      fest to get started. Promote it on your PA system. Try it, you'll like it.

      Culinary Delights

      Do you do your own cooking for your hamfest? Try something different.
      Come up with a signature dish and give it a cute hammy name. At our fest
      we have the Skyview Burger and the Skyview Dipole Hotdog. Both are spicy
      and sloppy. Most folks will break a sweat so much that when you're done
      eating them you normally need a shower. Folk love them! Here is a tip:
      Don't buy low quality generic food. Get the good stuff and charge for
      it. People don't mind paying extra if they feel they are getting
      something special for their money. Taste is a very strong sense and
      emotion. They will be back to your fest next year, with friends.

      Paparazzi

      Take lots of pictures of your event especially pictures of people having
      fun. Crop out unnecessary background images and post the pictures on
      your club web site soon after the event. It's not as good as getting you
      face on the cover of QST but it's nice to see your smiling mug on a web
      site.

      The hamfest season is just about over here in the northeast so this is a
      good time to plan for next year. I hope some of these suggestions might
      help your club with its next hamfest. They have worked well for us. Use
      your imagination. You know what you have to work with. The idea is to
      shake it up. Let's get some young folks interested and make your fest
      much more memorable for everybody. Good luck and I hope that old rusty
      D-104 you got from that box on the ground works out for you. I think you
      got a good deal on it.
      ===========================
      The ARRL CLUB NEWS is an e-mail digest of news and information of
      interest to active members of ARRL Affiliated Clubs.

      Material from The ARRL CLUB NEWS may be republished or reproduced in
      whole or in part in any form without additional permission. Credit must
      be given to The ARRL CLUB NEWS and The American Radio Relay League.

      Past issues of The ARRL CLUB NEWS are available at
      http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubnews/. Issues are posted to
      this page after publication.
    • Jack Amelar
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
        I subscribe to the ARRL Club Newsletter as well. When I checked the
        website http://www.skyviewradio.net I couldn't find anything about
        hamfest suggestions. I sure wish when links like this are given out
        they would include the entire URL directly to the page referred to. For
        example, information about the VE Exams at the Red Cross building:
        WRONG: http://www.w8dc.org
        CORRECT: http://www.w8dc.org/grr_license_testing/license_testing.htm

        73 Jack NY8D

        ----- Message from n8xx@... ---------
            Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
            From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
        Subject: [GRARA] "Shake up Your Hamfest"
              To: grara@yahoogroups.com

> [...]
        > shake it up. Let's get some young folks interested and make your
        fest
        > much more memorable for everybody. Good luck and I hope that old
        rusty
        > D-104 you got from that box on the ground works out for you. I
        think you
        > got a good deal on it.
        > ===========================
        > The ARRL CLUB NEWS is an e-mail digest of news and information of
        > interest to active members of ARRL Affiliated Clubs.
        >
        > Material from The ARRL CLUB NEWS may be republished or reproduced
        in
        > whole or in part in any form without additional permission. Credit
        must
        > be given to The ARRL CLUB NEWS and The American Radio Relay League.
        >
        > Past issues of The ARRL CLUB NEWS are available at

        ----- End message from n8xx@... -----
      • Wilson
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
          Hey Jack,

          Look at the photograph section. That looks like what they are referring too. There web site is setup with just the main URL, with just internal type links to the different sections with in the site.

          KD8DEG  Tom

              Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
              From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                To: grara@yahoogroups. com

          ----- End message from n8xx@... -----

                Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
                From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                  To: grara@yahoogroups. com

> [...]
            > shake it up. Let's get some young folks interested and make your
            fest
            > much more memorable for everybody. Good luck and I hope that old
            rusty
            > D-104 you got from that box on the ground works out for you. I
            think you
            > got a good deal on it.
            > ============ ========= ======
            > The ARRL CLUB NEWS is an e-mail digest of news and information of
            > interest to active members of ARRL Affiliated Clubs.
            >
            > Material from The ARRL CLUB NEWS may be republished or reproduced
            in
            > whole or in part in any form without additional permission. Credit
            must
            > be given to The ARRL CLUB NEWS and The American Radio Relay League.
            >
            > Past issues of The ARRL CLUB NEWS are available at

            ----- End message from n8xx@... -----

          • Gary W8GL
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
              All,
              Great ideas to stir up interest at GRARA Hamfest 2010! I especially like the idea about the open music jam concept. I think we should either, a): get one of Dave Devos' groups to perform a short set, just before the end of the swap, just prior to announcing the grandprize winner's name, or, b): volunteer Joe Bell on drums, Ron Fredricks, Bob Robinson, and Jack Kunnen on guitars, Steve Kaney on trumpet, myself on bass or saxophone, and ask Jean, AC8AR, to be female vocalist, and any other AROs that would like to participate as the core band. We could then, in pre-swap promotion, (postcards, flyers, & website) and over the PA system the day of the swap, throughout the show, make announcements to invite anyone in the house to come up and jam. I could provide a full PA system, including PA amps, speakers, guitar amps, mics, soundboard, snake, hook-up cords, plus extra right-handed guitars for guest jammers, or we could tell everyone ahead of the swap date to bring their own favorite instruments. Then, here's the best part-- we sell disposable ear plugs at the GRARA front table, for $5.00/ pair, with all proceeds going to support GRARA! Now that's entertainment!
              Wha-dee-ya think??
              W8GLguitarGARY

              To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

                  Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
                  From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                    To: grara@yahoogroups. com

              ----- End message from n8xx@... -----

                    Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
                    From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                      To: grara@yahoogroups. com

> [...]
                > shake it up. Let's get some young folks interested and make your
                fest
                > much more memorable for everybody. Good luck and I hope that old
                rusty
                > D-104 you got from that box on the ground works out for you. I
                think you
                > got a good deal on it.
                > ============ ========= ======
                > The ARRL CLUB NEWS is an e-mail digest of news and information of
                > interest to active members of ARRL Affiliated Clubs.
                >
                > Material from The ARRL CLUB NEWS may be republished or reproduced
                in
                > whole or in part in any form without additional permission. Credit
                must
                > be given to The ARRL CLUB NEWS and The American Radio Relay League.
                >
                > Past issues of The ARRL CLUB NEWS are available at

                ----- End message from n8xx@... -----

                Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

              • wd8usa@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
                  I would be more than happy to break a drum head or two for the cause! Just DO NOT ask me to play WIPEOUT! (although I can) DE WD8USDA   ...-.-

                  Me on guitar, there aren't ear plugs made that would block that kind of noise

                  Jack

                  On Oct 5, 2009, at 1:20 PM, Gary W8GL wrote:

                  All,
                  Great ideas to stir up interest at GRARA Hamfest 2010! I especially like the idea about=2 0the open music jam concept. I think we should either, a): get one of Dave Devos' groups to perform a short set, just before the end of the swap, just prior to announcing the grandprize winner's name, or, b): volunteer Joe Bell on drums, Ron Fredricks, Bob Robinson, and Jack Kunnen on guitars, Steve Kaney on trumpet, myself on bass or saxophone, and ask Jean, AC8AR, to be female vocalist, and any other AROs that would like to participate as the core band. We could then, in pre-swap promotion, (postcards, flyers, & website) and over the PA system the day of the swap, throughout the show, make announcements to invite anyone in the house to come up and jam. I could provide a full PA system, including PA amps, speakers, guitar amps, mics, soundboard, snake, hook-up cords, plus extra right-handed guitars for guest jammers, or we could tell everyone ahead of the swap date to bring their own favorite instruments. Then, here's the best part-- we sell disposable ear plugs at the GRARA front table, for $5.00/ pair, with all proceeds going to support GRARA! Now that's entertainment!
                  Wha-dee-ya think??
                  W8GLguitarGARY

                  To: GRARA@yahoogroups. com

                      Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:49:33 -0400
                      From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                        To: grara@yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
                    Or maybe something a little more simple and mellow, like some solos or duets?

                    ----- Message from gary_lauff@... ---------
                        Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 13:20:25 -0400
                        From: Gary W8GL <gary_lauff@...>
                          To: grara@yahoogroups.com

                    > All,
                    >
                    > Great ideas to stir up interest at GRARA Hamfest 2010! I especially

                    > like the idea about the open music jam concept. I think we should
                    > either, a): get one of Dave Devos' groups to perform a short set,
                    > just before the end of the swap, just prior to announcing the
                    > grandprize winner's name, or, b): volunteer Joe Bell on drums, Ron
                    > Fredricks, Bob Robinson, and Jack Kunnen on guitars, Steve Kaney on

                    > trumpet, myself on bass or saxophone, and ask Jean, AC8AR, to be
                    > female vocalist, and any other AROs that would like to participate
                    as
                    > the core band. We could then, in pre-swap promotion, (postcards,
                    > flyers, & website) and over the PA system the day of the swap,
                    > throughout the show, make announcements to invite anyone in the
                    house
                    > to come up and jam. I could provide a full PA system, including PA
                    > amps, speakers, guitar amps, mics, soundboard, snake, hook-up
                    cords,
                    > plus extra right-handed guitars for guest jammers, or we could tell

                    > everyone ahead of the swap date to bring their own favorite
                    > instruments. Then, here's the best part-- we sell disposable ear
                    > plugs at the GRARA front table, for $5.00/ pair, with all proceeds
                    > going to support GRARA! Now that's entertainment!
                    >
                    > Wha-dee-ya think??
                    >
                    > W8GLguitarGARY

                    ----- End message from gary_lauff@... -----
                  • K8TB
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
                      Hello GRARA.

                      As the chairman of the Holland Super Swap (Oct 17th), I have
                      set aside one complimentary table in GRARA's name.
                      Would someone like to claim this for GRARA to use for their promotion?

                      Just let me know who :)

                      Tom Bosscher K8TB

                      Chairman, Holland ARC Super Swap
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 7, 2009
                        Tom,

                        I'll claim the table for GRARA, thank you for doing this

                        Jack, AB8ND
                        President GRARA

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 7, 2009
                          Tom,
                          Thanks so much! Thank is very kind of the Holland club. I will plan to be one of the folks manning the table, as I will have things to sell. Will it be located on an outter wall, so that we can display our GRARA banner on the wall?
                          Also, will there be any type of "road kill chilli" dinner on Friday night? I apologize, as I haven't been reading the HARA blogs.
                          W8GLguitarGARY

                          To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 10, 2009
                            Gary,, W8GL and Jack, AB8ND,

                            I will have an envelope waiting for you guys Saturday morning that
                            will have your table number , which happens to be # 35.

                            tom bosscher k8tb