Re: Book Issue, license fee $15 now, Test on Sat at Hamfest at Lowell Fairground

  • mike_w8der
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
      Steven, Please note that the cost to take the license test is $14. This fee goes to the ARRL. Also, the test will not be given on Friday this month because of the hamfest at the Lowell Fairgrounds. The test will be given at 10:00 am Saturday at the hamfest. Friday night, all members will be setting up for the gala.

      Please see www.w8dc.org and welcome to ham radio!

      Mike, W8DER
      Mike@...

      --- In GRARA@yahoogroups.com, "scubalargo" <scubalargo@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I am planning on taking the Tech level exam on Fri. What is the cost 14$? I went out to some of our local book stores and am shocked to find that they have no books for Ham radio lic. I wanted to get my hands on a book to refresh my knowledge before I test. But I can always test again next month. But I should be seeing some of you on Fri
      >
      > Steven

    • Wilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
        We pay $20 to $25 a year for our memberships to our clubs for starters.
        How much is spent on a trip to Dayton. I am sure most spend
        more than $20 a year on the  local area swaps. This would not be an every year thing.
        We can get the books  from ARRL through the instructors discount for around $18 ea, maybe even better
        if we explain to the ARRL our intentions.
        Each club takes donations, and pools the money together. Donate them to the libraries under
        the clubs name's with info about each club on the inside cover. Now they know how and where to find us. Advertising for the clubs.
        Makes you wonder how many people, young and old, went to the library to find a book
        on Amateur Radio to see if they wanted to spend the time and money to get into the hobby, found nothing
        and just dropped the whole idea at that point. Even if it was just 5 people, that went to the
        library, we lost them and the one's they would have talked with about the hobby and may have sparked their interest.
        We will never know.
        My $1 worth. (Inflation)

        KD8DEG  Tom

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
          A few years ago GRARA donated a complete set of ARRL publications to
          the Grand Rapids Public Library downtown. I'm sure the license
          manual(s) are outdated by now.

          ----- Message from n8xx@... ---------
              Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 23:01:03 -0400
              From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

          > There are 18 libraries in Kent County.  If my 4 grade math is
          correct,
          > that's $360 to cover the libraries.  And, I think that doesn't
          cover the
          > Grand Rapids City Library downtown.  How do we split the cost
          amongst
          > the various clubs?  Or, do we provide a few copies, and ask folks
          > request them through the reservation system?
          >
          > Hg
          >
          > Charles Rich wrote:
          >>

          >> Y'know, it would be a great idea for the local radio club (s) to
          >> provide updated liocense manuals for their local library.
          >> I think it could be a worthwhile project at $20 bucks.
          >> I know that Holland did it in the past
          >> Chuck, W8GCW

          ----- End message from n8xx@... -----
        • Charles Rich
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
            That's a situation you would have to discuss - whether to have the books in a "central" library or, perhaps,   only a couple, for convenience.  Most libraries with branches let you order what you need from a central location and they will have it for you at thr branch of your choice.  Try sometning for a year or two and track the usage.
            Maybe ARRL can help with the cost,   Club cost is around $ 18, perhaps ARRL has a library cost that is cheaper.
            You could also chack if Gordon West has a plan for libraries.

            Chuck, W8GCW

            WE ARE ONE OF WEST MICHIGAN'S PIONEER WEDDING VIDEOGRAPHERS, IN BUSINESS SINCE 1992. WE ALSO SERVE CORPORATE, COMMERCIAL AND GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES WITH CUSTOM VIDEO PRODUCTION.

            VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT www.chuckrich.net

            Be sure to check out my Ham Radio Page. Licensed by the FCC since 1950