Re: [GRARA] Book Issue

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
      Hi Steven:

      As another person said, go on line and take the test. Take it several
      times because each time the robot draws a different set of 35 questions
      from the pool of questions. If you get 80 to 90% on each trial, you'll
      do fine.

      As far as finding books, you might come down to the W8DC Radio Room @
      American Red Cross Building, 1050 Fuller Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
      about 7:15 p.m. tomorrow evening and see if there's a study guide there
      (I don't recall.) And, you might put a plea here for someone to bring
      such a book - ARRL and others have good books for sale, but I don't know
      of a local outlet.

      Note that GRARA is giving the tests on Saturday 10:00 a.m. at Kent
      County Fairgrounds in Lowell, NOT Friday evening. See
      http://www.w8dc.org for details.

      73 de n8xx Hg

      scubalargo wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > I am planning on taking the Tech level exam on Fri. What is the cost 14$? I went out to some of our local book stores and am shocked to find that they have no books for Ham radio lic. I wanted to get my hands on a book to refresh my knowledge before I test. But I can always test again next month. But I should be seeing some of you on Fri
      >
      > Steven
    • Charles Rich
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 9, 2009
        Y'know, it would be a great idea for the local radio club (s) to provide updated liocense manuals for their local library.
        I think it could be a worthwhile project at $20 bucks.
        I know that Holland did it in the past
        Chuck, W8GCW

        Chuck, W8GCW

        WE ARE ONE OF WEST MICHIGAN'S PIONEER WEDDING VIDEOGRAPHERS, IN BUSINESS SINCE 1992. WE ALSO SERVE CORPORATE, COMMERCIAL AND GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES WITH CUSTOM VIDEO PRODUCTION.

        VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT www.chuckrich.net

        Be sure to check out my Ham Radio Page. Licensed by the FCC since 1950

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 9, 2009
          There are 18 libraries in Kent County. If my 4 grade math is correct,
          that's $360 to cover the libraries. And, I think that doesn't cover the
          Grand Rapids City Library downtown. How do we split the cost amongst
          the various clubs? Or, do we provide a few copies, and ask folks to
          request them through the reservation system?

          Hg

          Charles Rich wrote:

          > Y'know, it would be a great idea for the local radio club (s) to
          > provide updated liocense manuals for their local library.
          > I think it could be a worthwhile project at $20 bucks.
          > I know that Holland did it in the past
          > Chuck, W8GCW
        • mike_w8der
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
            Steven, Please note that the cost to take the license test is $14. This fee goes to the ARRL. Also, the test will not be given on Friday this month because of the hamfest at the Lowell Fairgrounds. The test will be given at 10:00 am Saturday at the hamfest. Friday night, all members will be setting up for the gala.

            Please see www.w8dc.org and welcome to ham radio!

            Mike, W8DER
            Mike@...

            --- In GRARA@yahoogroups.com, "scubalargo" <scubalargo@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > I am planning on taking the Tech level exam on Fri. What is the cost 14$? I went out to some of our local book stores and am shocked to find that they have no books for Ham radio lic. I wanted to get my hands on a book to refresh my knowledge before I test. But I can always test again next month. But I should be seeing some of you on Fri
            >
            > Steven

          • Wilson
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
              We pay $20 to $25 a year for our memberships to our clubs for starters.
              How much is spent on a trip to Dayton. I am sure most spend
              more than $20 a year on the  local area swaps. This would not be an every year thing.
              We can get the books  from ARRL through the instructors discount for around $18 ea, maybe even better
              if we explain to the ARRL our intentions.
              Each club takes donations, and pools the money together. Donate them to the libraries under
              the clubs name's with info about each club on the inside cover. Now they know how and where to find us. Advertising for the clubs.
              Makes you wonder how many people, young and old, went to the library to find a book
              on Amateur Radio to see if they wanted to spend the time and money to get into the hobby, found nothing
              and just dropped the whole idea at that point. Even if it was just 5 people, that went to the
              library, we lost them and the one's they would have talked with about the hobby and may have sparked their interest.
              We will never know.
              My $1 worth. (Inflation)

              KD8DEG  Tom

              Charles Rich wrote:

              > Y'know, it would be a great idea for the local radio club (s) to
              > provide updated liocense manuals for their local library.
              > I think it could be a worthwhile project at $20 bucks.
              > I know that Holland did it in the past
              > Chuck, W8GCW

            • Jack Amelar
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
                A few years ago GRARA donated a complete set of ARRL publications to
                the Grand Rapids Public Library downtown. I'm sure the license
                manual(s) are outdated by now.

                ----- Message from n8xx@... ---------
                    Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 23:01:03 -0400
                    From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                      To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

                > There are 18 libraries in Kent County.  If my 4 grade math is
                correct,
                > that's $360 to cover the libraries.  And, I think that doesn't
                cover the
                > Grand Rapids City Library downtown.  How do we split the cost
                amongst
                > the various clubs?  Or, do we provide a few copies, and ask folks
                > request them through the reservation system?
                >
                > Hg
                >
                > Charles Rich wrote:
                >>

                >> Y'know, it would be a great idea for the local radio club (s) to
                >> provide updated liocense manuals for their local library.
                >> I think it could be a worthwhile project at $20 bucks.
                >> I know that Holland did it in the past
                >> Chuck, W8GCW

                ----- End message from n8xx@... -----
              • Charles Rich
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
                  That's a situation you would have to discuss - whether to have the books in a "central" library or, perhaps,   only a couple, for convenience.  Most libraries with branches let you order what you need from a central location and they will have it for you at thr branch of your choice.  Try sometning for a year or two and track the usage.
                  Maybe ARRL can help with the cost,   Club cost is around $ 18, perhaps ARRL has a library cost that is cheaper.
                  You could also chack if Gordon West has a plan for libraries.