Re: [GRARA] Book Issue

  • k8tb@bosscher.org
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
      Steven,

      If I may, you might make a choice between cramming for the next few
      days, or wait one more month. In the absence of a book locally, the
      Internet comes to your rescue. There are 35 question in the technician
      yest, from a question pool of some 500 or so. How to know what these
      quaestions are? Go to any number of on line study guides, such as:

      http://www.eham.net/exams/
      http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl
      http://www.radioexam.org/
      http://aa9pw.com/
      http://www.hamtestonline.com/

      I would recommend that you use at least two different sites, they do
      things a little differently at it. Once you find yourself at the 90% or
      above level, go for the test.

      tom bosscjer K8TB

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
        Hi Steven:

        As another person said, go on line and take the test. Take it several
        times because each time the robot draws a different set of 35 questions
        from the pool of questions. If you get 80 to 90% on each trial, you'll
        do fine.

        As far as finding books, you might come down to the W8DC Radio Room @
        American Red Cross Building, 1050 Fuller Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
        about 7:15 p.m. tomorrow evening and see if there's a study guide there
        (I don't recall.) And, you might put a plea here for someone to bring
        such a book - ARRL and others have good books for sale, but I don't know
        of a local outlet.

        Note that GRARA is giving the tests on Saturday 10:00 a.m. at Kent
        County Fairgrounds in Lowell, NOT Friday evening. See
        http://www.w8dc.org for details.

        73 de n8xx Hg

        scubalargo wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I am planning on taking the Tech level exam on Fri. What is the cost 14$? I went out to some of our local book stores and am shocked to find that they have no books for Ham radio lic. I wanted to get my hands on a book to refresh my knowledge before I test. But I can always test again next month. But I should be seeing some of you on Fri
        >
        > Steven
      • Charles Rich
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 9, 2009
          Y'know, it would be a great idea for the local radio club (s) to provide updated liocense manuals for their local library.
          I think it could be a worthwhile project at $20 bucks.
          I know that Holland did it in the past
          Chuck, W8GCW

          Chuck, W8GCW

          WE ARE ONE OF WEST MICHIGAN'S PIONEER WEDDING VIDEOGRAPHERS, IN BUSINESS SINCE 1992. WE ALSO SERVE CORPORATE, COMMERCIAL AND GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES WITH CUSTOM VIDEO PRODUCTION.

          VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT www.chuckrich.net

          Be sure to check out my Ham Radio Page. Licensed by the FCC since 1950

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 9, 2009
            There are 18 libraries in Kent County. If my 4 grade math is correct,
            that's $360 to cover the libraries. And, I think that doesn't cover the
            Grand Rapids City Library downtown. How do we split the cost amongst
            the various clubs? Or, do we provide a few copies, and ask folks to
            request them through the reservation system?

            Hg

            Charles Rich wrote:

            > Y'know, it would be a great idea for the local radio club (s) to
            > provide updated liocense manuals for their local library.
            > I think it could be a worthwhile project at $20 bucks.
            > I know that Holland did it in the past
            > Chuck, W8GCW
          • mike_w8der
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
              Steven, Please note that the cost to take the license test is $14. This fee goes to the ARRL. Also, the test will not be given on Friday this month because of the hamfest at the Lowell Fairgrounds. The test will be given at 10:00 am Saturday at the hamfest. Friday night, all members will be setting up for the gala.

              Please see www.w8dc.org and welcome to ham radio!

              Mike, W8DER
              Mike@...

              --- In GRARA@yahoogroups.com, "scubalargo" <scubalargo@...> wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > I am planning on taking the Tech level exam on Fri. What is the cost 14$? I went out to some of our local book stores and am shocked to find that they have no books for Ham radio lic. I wanted to get my hands on a book to refresh my knowledge before I test. But I can always test again next month. But I should be seeing some of you on Fri
              >
              > Steven

            • Wilson
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
                We pay $20 to $25 a year for our memberships to our clubs for starters.
                How much is spent on a trip to Dayton. I am sure most spend
                more than $20 a year on the  local area swaps. This would not be an every year thing.
                We can get the books  from ARRL through the instructors discount for around $18 ea, maybe even better
                if we explain to the ARRL our intentions.
                Each club takes donations, and pools the money together. Donate them to the libraries under
                the clubs name's with info about each club on the inside cover. Now they know how and where to find us. Advertising for the clubs.
                Makes you wonder how many people, young and old, went to the library to find a book
                on Amateur Radio to see if they wanted to spend the time and money to get into the hobby, found nothing
                and just dropped the whole idea at that point. Even if it was just 5 people, that went to the
                library, we lost them and the one's they would have talked with about the hobby and may have sparked their interest.
                We will never know.
                My $1 worth. (Inflation)

                KD8DEG  Tom

                Charles Rich wrote:

                > Y'know, it would be a great idea for the local radio club (s) to
                > provide updated liocense manuals for their local library.
                > I think it could be a worthwhile project at $20 bucks.
                > I know that Holland did it in the past
                > Chuck, W8GCW

              • Jack Amelar
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
                  A few years ago GRARA donated a complete set of ARRL publications to
                  the Grand Rapids Public Library downtown. I'm sure the license
                  manual(s) are outdated by now.

                  ----- Message from n8xx@... ---------
                      Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 23:01:03 -0400
                      From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
                        To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

                  > There are 18 libraries in Kent County.  If my 4 grade math is
                  correct,
                  > that's $360 to cover the libraries.  And, I think that doesn't
                  cover the
                  > Grand Rapids City Library downtown.  How do we split the cost
                  amongst
                  > the various clubs?  Or, do we provide a few copies, and ask folks
                  > request them through the reservation system?
                  >
                  > Hg
                  >
                  > Charles Rich wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Y'know, it would be a great idea for the local radio club (s) to
                  >> provide updated liocense manuals for their local library.
                  >> I think it could be a worthwhile project at $20 bucks.
                  >> I know that Holland did it in the past
                  >> Chuck, W8GCW

                  ----- End message from n8xx@... -----
                • Charles Rich
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 10, 2009
                    That's a situation you would have to discuss - whether to have the books in a "central" library or, perhaps,   only a couple, for convenience.  Most libraries with branches let you order what you need from a central location and they will have it for you at thr branch of your choice.  Try sometning for a year or two and track the usage.
                    Maybe ARRL can help with the cost,   Club cost is around $ 18, perhaps ARRL has a library cost that is cheaper.
                    You could also chack if Gordon West has a plan for libraries.