Something to do on a snowy Sunday...

  • K8TB
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2008
      I assume many of you are just taking it easy today. I was going
      through some of my bookmarks, and I would like to pass on some links
      that are to the Air Force Space Radar. If you have never heard of this,
      take some time to see what good some of your tax money does. How about
      a transmitter on 216 megs, with over 6 Billion watts ERP? Pointed
      straight up. Any satellite over the earth that is not in a
      geo-synchronous orbit has to fly over this site. By listening to the
      Doppler signal the Air Force keeps track of the satellites.

      Links:

      http://www.k4gfg.us/navspasur/index.html

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Space_Surveillance_System

      http://spaceweather.com/

      Real Time Audio monitoring at:
      http://wowzaweb.streamguys.com/~spaceweather/

      And Google up navspasur

      I'm seriously thinking of buying a 220 MHz receive converter next spring
      and listening to this thing.

      Have fun in the snow !

      tom k8tb
    • Kerryguy7
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2008
        6 Billion Watts ERP?!!
        Just imagine the heat any significant SWR would generate??  :)

        Thomas K. Lane
        Lane Computer Services
        A+ Certified & Network+ Certified ComputerTechnician

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 21, 2008
          That area of Texas does have ice storms from time to time. However,
          the array consists of over 2,500 antennas, each fed with its own 300
          watt amplifier. What boggles the mind is the 0.02 degree beam width. Do
          the math to see how narrow the beam still is at 200 miles, the height of
          many of satellites. Then think about the power of that beam to any plane
          flying overhead at 35,000 feet!

          tom k8tb