Scouting Radio Merit Badge

  • mike_w8der
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008

      While looking at this month's CQ magazine, I noticed their "Amateur Radio Web Site of the Month" went to a site that focuses on the Boy Scout Radio Merit Badge and how hams can help the Scouts earn this badge.

      Ref: http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/

      This sounds like an effort that has "local radio club" written all over it.  Does any group in western Michigan do anything with this?

      Additional Ref:

      http://www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/AdvancementAndAwards/MeritBadges.aspx

    • Gary Lauff
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
        Mike,
        I know Mark Gerben / W0WCH for been active in Boys Scouts for years. You might want to ask him. He could put us in touch with the right folks. Maybe we could tie the Boy Scouts in with the GRARA code class thing. I know he frequents the Friday Schnitz's Deli "Lunch Bunch" IRA boys get-togethers. You can raise him on the link system, too.
        Hope this helps.
        Gary W8GL

        To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
          Guys,
          Every scout troop in the county should be contacted for info on who in their troop might be interested in earning this merit badge, then set up a weekly, monthly training program, meeting for those interested.  I wish is was home to help line something up.
          Dave
          AC8AB

          To: GRARA@yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
            In reading about the ARRL Vice Director candidates, I noted that the
            candidate from the Ann Arbor ARC had run a Scout Radio Merit Badge
            Day last March 31st for the Scouts. He has a good report on the
            event on the club site. Again it sounds like a neat project to get
            young people introduced to ham radio.

            http://www.w8pgw.org/node/737