Re: [GRARA] Romney dismissed Amateur Radio operators

  • Raymond Larabee Jr
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2008
      Great story Tom. I watched this and they all think that their centralized system of digital communications is the answer. It's not the answer. If you put all of your communication in one basket, it's all doomed to fail. That's what happened in New Olreans. That's why we have RACES, ARES and Ham Radio in general. It's been shown to work (ie. Sept. 11th, Alabama during Katrina, ETC.)

      73's
      Raymond Larabee Jr.
      WEBMASTER <---- http://www.dapr.org

      On Jan 16, 2008, at 4:56 PM, tom_kd8deg wrote:

      Governor Mitt Romney dismissed the role of Amateur Radio operators in
      emergency communications during a televised "town meeting" program
      last night on WCVB's "When Disaster Strikes: Segment Two." The
      program featured public safety and volunteer organization officials
      from across Massachusetts among its audience.

      Host and moderator Natalie Jacobson asked an increasingly- agitated
      Governor Romney questions about communications interoperability, and
      communication without commercial power. Romney was next asked by
      Jacobson, "...so does it come down to ham radio?..."

      The Governor replied in a disgusted tone, "No, we don't need to deal
      with ham radio operators... "

      Embarrassed public safety officials later tried to put in a good word
      for Amateur Radio. National Weather Service Warning Coordination
      Meteorologist Glenn Field was prepared to state the importance of
      Amateur Radio, when Salvation Army Colonel Fred Van Brunt was called
      upon. Van Brunt remarked about his organization' s quest to improve
      its communications capabilities and how Amateur Radio has aided his
      organization. "The ham radio situation helps a great deal," he stated.

      "I have already written and submitted a letter to the Governor's
      Office," wrote Eastern MA Section Emergency Coordinator Rob Macedo,
      KD1CY. "I have also written an email to Natalie Jacobson."

      ARRL Section Manager Mike Neilsen, W1MPN sent a section-wide email
      today to all Eastern MA ARRL members describing the incident along
      with actions he and his staff were taking to mitigate the situation.

      "[Romney's] attitude about us sets an unfortunate tone within the
      state's executive branch," wrote Neilsen. "As a former military
      officer, I see this as a failure in leadership. My immediate concern
      is our working relationship within the [Massachusetts Emergency
      Management Team] environment. " Neilsen intends to address the
      Governor's comments as "an urgent matter" at a meeting on November 17
      with Don Carlton from the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency.

      "I was very disturbed about what the Governor stated on the program,"
      wrote Ron Wood, W1PLW, the section's Public Information
      Coordinator. "It does show that more work is needed by all hams in
      the section. It's a great idea to write letters explaining the good
      we do." Wood is attempting to schedule a meeting with the Governor's
      office tomorrow so that EMA ARRL staffers might discuss the matter
      further.

      Tom Kinahan, N1CPE wrote that Governor Romney's comment has made "a
      PR problem" for Kinahan in his role as MA State RACES Officer.

      "I've got a roster of over 150 Amateur Radio operators that support
      local communities, and those of us that directly support the state
      government. There are at least double that in terms of people that
      are actually out there that I don't have formal paperwork on that
      support Amateur Radio emergency communications in some organized
      manner... The Governor has said that he 'certainly doesn't need to
      rely on ham radio' -- where does that leave the RACES program now?"

      "I am ashamed tonight that I am a Republican!" remarked one ham radio
      viewer. "[Romney] speaks in derogatory tones about hams. He certainly
      shows an ignorance as to what we do and are capable of. I suggest a
      grass roots campaign of local hams calling the State House and The
      Governor's Office to protest."

      The television program can be viewed at
      http://www.thebosto nchannel. com/video/ 5334306/detail. html.

      Ambassadors for Christ 7.280
      http://www.getbible .org
      Listen to the Ambassadors for Christ HF Radio net
      M-F 2-3pm and Sat. 3-4 pm. on line.
      http://www.smeter. net/lebanon/ audio.php

      I HAVEN'T SEEN MY FATHER IN 35+ YEARS CAN YOU HELP ME FIND HIM
      THIS IS THE ONLY INFO I HAVE
      http://www.geocitie s.com/kf4znl/ HWS.html

      United States Department of Defense Image Gallery

      http://www.dod. mil/multimedia/

      ----------
      Search.

      Ambassadors for Christ 7.280
      http://www.getbible .org
      Listen to the Ambassadors for Christ HF Radio net
      M-F 2-3pm and Sat. 3-4 pm. on line.
      http://www.smeter. net/lebanon/ audio.php

      I HAVEN'T SEEN MY FATHER IN 35+ YEARS CAN YOU HELP ME FIND HIM
      THIS IS THE ONLY INFO I HAVE
      http://www.geocitie s.com/kf4znl/ HWS.html

      United States Department of Defense Image Gallery

      http://www.dod. mil/multimedia/

      ----------
      Search.

      Messages | Polls

      This user group is a great forum for asking questions and sharing
      ideas with the valuable resource of both new and experienced N3FJP
      Software users, but it does get busy. There is an easy way to cut
      down on the e-mail volume. If you only want to receive announcements
      from Kimberly and me regarding upgrades and new products, please join
      our "announcements only" list instead. We keep e-mail to
      the "announcements only" list to an absolute minimum. Please join by
      sending a blank e-mail to:

      N3FJP_Software- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com

      Then unsubscribe from this user group by sending an email to:

      As always, thanks for your interest, kind thoughts, support and
      spreading the word about our software!

      73, Scott & Kimberly
      N3FJP & KA3SEQ
      http://www.n3fjp. com/

      Serving the Amateur Radio Community with general logging and
      contesting software since 1997.

      MARKETPLACE