Continuing Problems with Red Cross Background Checks

  • hgreeb
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2008
      I attended a "webinar" on Tuesday evenig, sponsored by the
      Southeastern Division Director of ARRL, concerning the current status
      of the Red Cross Background Checks in regards to Amateur Radio
      volunteers. Two things:

      1. We had no way of knowing how many attended the seminar. There
      were at least two ARRL directors in attendance, possibly more. The
      questions kept coming, for the full hour allotted for the meeting!

      2. It seems that, contrary to published proclamations by the League
      and others, not much has changed except for wording of the
      statements. Upon careful reading by our counsel, it seems that the
      provider of choice by the Red CRoss, MyBackgroundCheck.com still asks
      us to sign something which will allow all sorts of data to be
      gathered, even though the intent was/is to permit a criminal
      background check only.

      ARRL continues to work with Red Cross on the subject, and more
      positive news is expected "real soon now." We were asked during the
      webinar to "stay tuned" to the news on the League's efforts to get a
      resolution on the subject. "Real soon now" is expected to be within
      a week, perhaps even this week.

      Long term volunteers (like me) will welcome this. Red Cross is
      worthy of our full support!