Re: How to attract new members, a reply

  • KD8AZM
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
      --- In GRARA@yahoogroups.com, Dave Ed <jeff4tyme@...> wrote:

      > Mike,
      > Other than being more friendly at meetings and learning peoples
      needs, maybe we should do a better job with people that are testing
      on Friday nights.  Maybe a group of guys to talk to the people after
      testing regarding club membership and what the club is all about.
      This can be done while the are waiting for their test scores.  We
      should discuss this at a meeting and come up with a committee of a
      few people to come up with new ideas on how to increase membership.
      > Dave
      > AC8AB

      I agree with Dave, and think that is an excellent strategy to gain
      new GRARA members from the VEC test dates. That is how I first got
      involved with GRARA- after I passed my Tech test, someone shook my
      hand, introduced themself as a GRARA member, handed me a blank
      membership form, explained when and where the club's meeting time
      was, and stressed the part about the first year's membership was
      FREE! Free is good! I showed up, liked what was going on, and now
      they can't get rid of me! I think it was Robert / KD8BIH that was my
      ambassador into the club. Now days, no one takes responsibility to
      make sure there are plenty of club business cards laying around on
      the tables and blank membership applications readily available. Why
      it's almost as tough to get a club membership card with GRARA, even
      AFTER you pay your dues, as it is getting an I.D. badge from RACES!
      They'll get around to it someday, when they feel like it. Everyone
      seems to just make a joke out of things, pass the buck, or act
      complacent about it, or delegate it to someone that's not there, and
      say" "That's their job," and that's as far as it goes. Or like the
      one meeting we had where the newcomer father brought his young
      daughter with him to the meeting. She was the only female present.
      Someone (not mentioning any names) let their guard down, some brief
      colorful language occured. I have never seen that guy return to
      another meeting, much less bring his daughter back. So much for
      drumming up young hams!
      Mike, I total agree with you about how hospitable the Holland club
      is. I got that same impression from those boys when I took their
      Amateur Extra class,this past winter. And last year's field day I
      briefly stopped out to the Lowell club, to see what was going on, and
      I got the same Red Carpet treatment. I think it is a decficiency that
      this club, in particular, needs to address, if we expect to keep
      membership at statis quo, let alone increased membership.
      Gary KD8AZM/AE
      Sorry about the candid comments, but that's how I see it.

      > Hank,
      >

      > I think you "hit the nail on head" with your comments about our
      >
      > sometimes lacking social skills at meetings and outings. We often
      >
      > stand around enjoying our status as "good ole boys" and forget to
      >
      > enable others to join "the gang." I know we have been aware of
      this

      > problem at GRARA meetings and are trying to improve our hospitality
      >
      > skills. We have just gotten lazy and our membership numbers have
      >
      > shown the price.
      >

      > However, let me tell you about a club that has the social skills
      >
      > developed to a "T". I am talking about the Holland Amateur Radio
      >
      > Club. They are exactly what all other clubs should try to be. I
      >
      > don't know if they all went to some sort of Dale Carnegie course,
      or

      > if the older members just set a good example, but that club has
      >
      > the "friendly factor" showing.
      >

      > I first saw the members in action when I visited their technology
      >
      > center (clubhouse) on an open radio room night. I couldn't believe
      >
      > how much they went out of their way to be sure I met people with
      >
      > common interests. (They also make a pretty good cup of coffee.)
      >
      > When I left, I was amazed that almost everyone had made the effort
      >
      > remember my name and encouraged me to come back to a meeting. At
      >
      > first I thought it was because they were a smaller club, until I
      >
      > found that they have more than twice the number of members as
      >
      > GRARA. ...and now I know why.
      >

      > I attended their next membership meeting and I am sure it was just
      >
      > coincident that I won the 50-50 raffle. Again they showed a sincere
      >
      > interest in this "new guy" and made the attempt to make me feel
      >
      > welcome. By this time, I was starting to remember more names
      also.

      > And now to the field day test you were talking about Hank. I have
      >
      > been a HARC member for some time now and was invited in the spring
      >
      > take part in their field day. But, when I got to their field day
      >
      > Saturday morning, the first person I ran into I had never met
      >
      > before. His name is Jeff, KB8QAP. Since he had me pegged as still
      >
      > a "new guy", he stopped what he was working on and showed me the
      >
      > stations being set up and introduced me to a group of guys so I
      felt

      > that I belonged. Before I knew it, I was telling stories with the
      >
      > best of them. They have an outstanding field day site and we all
      had

      > a great time.
      >

      > Sometime, if you get a chance, stop by a Holland Amateur Radio Club
      >
      > function and notice the difference. We could all learn from them.
      >

      > --- In GRARA@yahoogroups. com, Hank Greeb <n8xx@> wrote:
      >

      > > The one thing I've noted with 90+% of the club meetings, Field
      >
      > Days, and
      >
      > > other activities, of probably a hundred different Ham Radio clubs
      is

      > > that they aren't very friendly to newcomers. ..........

    • Wilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
        Hank & Mike,

        You have hit the nail on the head. Yes Mike I got the same treatment my self when I first entered the Holland club door. I  am a member also.  They all go out of there way to say hi and introduce them selves and on your return visits it's the same warm friendly greeting by everyone. Only club I know that offers CW classes from entry level to what ever speed you desire to achieve or just a refresher, Tech to Extra class, classes every year and club projects. First Saturday of every month they have a club breakfast/mini swap at the club house. They have, "3 World Class Chiefs", as they put it, serving up a class "A" menu . Great eat's, some good buy's, and "Fellowship Time".  Take in one of the breakfast/mini swaps sometime. Oh yes, and "Please Do Come Again".

        Yes Hank, not only newcomers but existing members, some clubs also tend to be very clickie and/or competitive.

[...]

        When I left, I was amazed that almost everyone had made the effort to
        remember my name and encouraged me to come back to a meeting. At
        first I thought it was because they were a smaller club, until I
        found that they have more than twice the number of members as
        GRARA. ...and now I know why.

        I attended their next membership meeting and I am sure it was just a
        coincident that I won the 50-50 raffle. Again they showed a sincere
        interest in this "new guy" and made the attempt to make me feel
        welcome. By this time, I was starting to remember more names also.

        And now to the field day test you were talking about Hank. I have
        been a HARC member for some time now and was invited in the spring to