ARRL September VHF Contest this weekend

  • David DeVos
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2013

      I will be roving as KF8QL/R this weekend. Please look for me on 144.200 or 144.230. My schedule will be on davedevos.com

      From: "ARRL Web site" <memberlist@...>
      Date: September 12, 2013, 6:45:45 PM EDT
      To: kf8ql@...
      Subject: The ARRL Letter for September 12, 2013

      On the Air: Get on the Air for the ARRL September VHF Contest!

      The ARRL September VHF Contest is this weekend (1800 UTC September 14 to 0259 UTC September 16), providing a chance for radio amateurs of all levels to experience contesting on our higher bands. This event is markedly different from the June VHF Contest, due to the heightened potential of excellent tropospheric propagation. Activity will center on 50.125, 144.200, 222.100 and 432.100 MHz. These are calling frequencies, however, and contest participants should avoid monopolizing them.

      On 6 meters, the most popular band, most SSB activity will take place between 50.125 MHz and 50.250 MHz, and CW between 50.080 MHz and 50.100 MHz. The frequencies between 50.100 MHz and 50.125 MHz are considered a "DX Window," for contacts between W/VE and DX stations, so avoid US-to-US contacts in that part of the band. Check the band plans for details on all bands.

      Even FM operators can get in on the fun by competing in the FM-only category. FM simplex activity on 2 meters will center around population centers. Remember: ARRL General VHF Contest Rules prohibit contest operators from using the national simplex frequency of 146.52 MHz to make or solicit contacts.

      Rules and entry forms are on the ARRL website. All logs must be e-mailed or postmarked no later than 0300 UTC on October 16, 2013. Electronic logs are preferred. Send paper logs to September VHF Contest, ARRL, 225 Main St, Newington, CT 06111.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13, 2013
        Yup, that's 8 p.m Eastern Daylight time to Midnight, the NA-Sprint, SSB will be held.  It's a "very interesting" or "very maddening" or "very $%^&#@" event, depending on your viewpoint.

        BUT, it IS SSB, so the operators who like to flap their jaws, rather than the nuts who twiddle their left feet to communicate can have a ball.

        Rules are at http://ncjweb.com/sprintrules.php. Note the "special QSY rules" which are the "very interesting" or "very maddening" or "very $%^&#@" part of the event.

        Since most everything with shorter wavelength than 20 meters is UHF to me, I won't be on the VHF contest.  But, I'll be dabbling in the SSB Sprint, with my mighty 5 watts and an antenna which has been proven "somewhat better than a dummy load buried 6 feet under ground."  So, if you have a modest antenna and any sort of phone rig, why don't you jump in and get your feet wet.

        p.s.  And, since the VHF contest is on for 27 or so hours, you CAN do both the NA-Sprint plus the VHF contest.  So, look for Dave, KF8QL, as he meaders around the area, finding high spots from which to operate .