RE: Re: D-Star Inquiry

  • roberts358
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2013

      Mike - KB8ZGL

      I validated with Echolink tonight. I am looking forward to working with the software.

      My email address is kd8vhv@.... I was very nice to meet you this evening. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me regarding DV and other topics.

      73s

      KD8VHV - rob

      --- In GRARA@yahoogroups.com, <grara@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Rob,
      D-STAR is very active in West Michigan. See http://www.dstarusers.org/viewrepeater.php?system=WX8GRR

      I really like my dongle. It was a good way to get started into D-Star before buying the radio. It allows access to all of the REF and XRF reflectors (yes, there are at least two competing reflector technologies, but don't let that scare you). REF 001 C is a great place to meet hams on D-STAR.

      The Dongle can be made to do other neat things as you become more familiar with D-STAR. I take it with me when on vacation as it is easy to pack and I can enjoy QSOs with my dongle, my laptop and a good headset.

      If you are not in the process of buying a new radio and just want to try and learn if D-STAR is right for you this is a great way to get started. If you have a D-STAR radio already or are looking at a new radio, then I would consider a D-STAR radio which has other purposes for the place to invest the $200.

      Have you done Echolink, IRLP or Allstar? These VoIP technologies can give you hours of similar fun without any investment up front. Google should help you find out more about these. I do a lot more on Allstar than on D-STAR these days, but still enjoy all that D-STAR has to offer.

      Mike
      kb8zgl