160 m and an Extended Band AM station

  • Cortland Richmond
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2013
      I live about 1500 meters from WPRR,  a 10KW daytime, 680W nighttime AMBC station on 1680 KHz.

      The past few weeks, there've not only been no spurs on HF,. they've been running the same power day and night; low power. This was still showing 50 dBuV (316 uV) with one meter of wire on a spectrum analyzer, but I could certainly live with that.

      Today though, I thought the analyzer was malfunctioning.  The good news is, it's not, but there's bad news too; they're fixing things; WPRR was was intermiitent adn weaker this past few days and they ve been on and off and REALLY weak (16 dBuV, 3.16 uV) today. Can't say I miss the blanketing, but they'll be back and if 680W was 50 DBuV, 10KW wil be  73 dBuV on the same 1 meter wire in 50 OHmz -- 4.6 MILLIVOLTS. Ouch.

      Time for a loop antenna. And good RF chokes on the Rigblasters.

      Cortland
      KA5S

      Exhibit 16
      REASONS FOR REQUEST

      ON JULY 20, 2013, STATION WPRR COMMENCED OPERATION WITH REDUCED DAYTIME POWER. THE REDUCED POWER WAS ITS LICENSED NIGHTTIME POWER OF 0.68 KW. THIS WAS DUE TO DAMAGE TO A SECTION OF THE TRANSMISSION LINE. NOTICE OF THE REDUCED POWER OPERATION WAS GIVEN, AS REQUIRED BY SECTION 73.1560(D) ON JULY 30, 2013. IT WAS ANTICIPATED THAT FULL POWER OPERATION COULD RESUME WITHIN 30 DAYS. HOWEVER, SOME ADDITIONAL DAMAGE WAS DISCOVERED, THE REPAIR OF WHICH WILL TAKE SOME ADDITIONAL TIME. IT IS EXPECTED THAT THE STATION WILL BE ABLE TO RESUME NORMAL OPERATION WITHIN A FEW WEEKS. IN THE MEANTIME, THE STATION WILL CONTINUE TO OPERATE WITH ITS LICENSED NIGHTTIME POWER

      https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101569604&formid=911&fac_num=87106