Re: [GRARA] Grara google password and email change request

  • Dan KD8KXI
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
      Correction, search "2-step verification".

      Direct Google link on how to enable it for the brave:  https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/180744?hl=en

      On 08/26/2013 05:28 PM, Dan KD8KXI wrote:

      I'm more inclined to suspect it was a typo on the username, and the person unwittingly tried to recover the password before realizing the error.  I've encountered this before, and it's common especially if the username utilizes acronyms.  There's simply not much gained by phishing an amateur radio association's Google account.

      If two-factor authentication is enabled on the account(s), there's little need to worry, even with a successful phishing attempt that recovers the login password.  If it's not enabled, do so (Google search two-factor authentication).

      Dan T (KD8KXI)

      On 08/26/2013 02:55 PM, R. Mark Barnett wrote:

      Might be a phishing attempt... IE.. if you use the links in the email to access your account, they have your password... If you have a strong password I wouldn't worry too much even if it WAS real... You got the email, not them.. If your password is PASSWORD, I'd change it anyway.... I will NEVER use a link in my email to access ANY account.

      Mark B. N8PGV

    Message 2 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
      Not spam, not a phishing attempt.
      It was me. It's a gmail originally set up as the contact for GRAHamfest
      which hasn't been used in 3 years.
      Ignore it.

      Jack NY8D

      ----- Message from kd8kxi@... ---------
      Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:28:27 -0400
      From: Dan KD8KXI <kd8kxi@...>
      To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

      > I'm more inclined to suspect it was a typo on the username, and the
      > person unwittingly tried to recover the password before realizing the
      > error. I've encountered this before, and it's common especially if the
      > username utilizes acronyms. There's simply not much gained by phishing
      > an amateur radio association's Google account.
      >
      > If two-factor authentication is enabled on the account(s), there's
      > little need to worry, even with a successful phishing attempt that
      > recovers the login password. If it's not enabled, do so (Google search
      > two-factor authentication).
      >
      > Dan T (KD8KXI)
      >
      > On 08/26/2013 02:55 PM, R. Mark Barnett wrote:
      >>
      >> Might be a phishing attempt... IE.. if you use the links in the email
      >> to access your account, they have your password... If you have a
      >> strong password I wouldn't worry too much even if it WAS real... You
      >> got the email, not them.. If your password is PASSWORD, I'd change it
      >> anyway.... I will NEVER use a link in my email to access ANY account.
      >>
      >> *
      >> *Mark B. N8PGV*
      >> * *
      >>
      >> *

      ----- End message from kd8kxi@... -----
    • sprovost64
      Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013
        Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
        Just wanted to be sure our main goggle accounts were not being compromised.
        Stephen