Radio Room

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2013
      Need link to u-tube video about using radios.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2013
        Robert:

        Oh, you think the club needs to teach us lids like me, who couldn't even figger out how to turn on the VHF rig when I was down at W8DC the other day.  Sou, you think we need to know how to operate the rigs @ the club Radio Room?  Amazing, I always thought we were expected to learn by ESP or somesuch.  The subject has only been mentioned at club meetings several (numerous) times during the 5 or 6 years that I've been a member.  I thought at one time I'd hold my breath waiting for training sessions to be instituted, but I found it impossible to do that.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2013

            Jack:

            Thanks for the clarification.

            There are many other things which are not obvious, even to an olde f**t fogey like me, who has been around ham radio for >60 years.  To me, there didn't seem any way to "turn on" the 2 meter rig which also had the the new d-star mode in it.  I didn't try anything in the room, but I thought I might be competent enough to push a "push to talk" button on a microphone and announce my presence had I been able to figure out where the "on-off" switch is on the new 2 meter rig.

            I thought we had some sort of ossifer who is charged with education and training.  If we don't we certainly could use one, because there's at least one person (me) who doesn't have the foggiest idea of how things work @ W8DC.  Perhaps all others in the club know how everything works, so I may be the dunce of the crowd.

            72/73 de n8xx Hg
            QRP
            >99.44% of
            the time

            On 8/8/2013 2:27 PM, Jack Kunnen wrote:
            Hank,

            This was a link to a video Tom, N8DGD, made on operation of the HF with the external tuner and amp. He asked me to post it here at the meeting Friday.

            Jack, ab8nd
          • wd8usa
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2013
              Good Lord Hank- METHINKS ya got a way with words!

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2013
                Wednesday night radio room could be used for a lot of good radio training.
                Dave
                AC8AB

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2013
                  Thanks Joe:

                  You hit the bell right on the head.

                  Lessee, we claim (Or at least, at one time we claimed) we are (were) a "Special Service Club" yet we fail miserably on training.

                  The listing on ARRL web site says that Jack, AB8ND is president, and Richard Douglas, KC8NKA is newsletter editor,
                  and that we have

                  Club Newsletter (I ain't seen one in the 6 years I've been a member),
                  Entry-Level License Classes (occasionally),
                  Hamfest,
                  License Test Sessions,
                  On-The-Air Bulletins  (on what bands/modes, schedule? - beats me)
                  Packet Radio BBS,
                  Repeater

                  Is anything in the above out of date?

                  On 8/8/2013 3:34 PM, wd8usa@... wrote:
[...]

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      GRARA-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      GRARA-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • wd8ozs
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2013
                    All these messages and still no link????? I have a radio that is very similar to the FT-920, but would like to know about the antennas and switches and other things that go along with the radio. And besides I like watching video's.
                    73,  Bob  AC8ZX

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 8, 2013
                      The operative words are "could be."

                      The actual words are "haven't been" and "probably won't ever be" (knowing past history - mine is recent, only goes back 6 years or so)

                      On 8/8/2013 4:28 PM, Dave Ed wrote:
                      Wednesday night radio room could be used for a lot of good radio training.
                      Dave
                      AC8AB
                    • Jim Leys
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 8, 2013
                        Here is to link to Tom Hanson's video on the 920
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LT7rchTi9W4