Re: Fwd: Re: [MWA] Kenwood TS-440

  • Steven Kaney
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2013
      Damn it Hank!  I'm done with this.  You asked for my critique and I gave it honestly but then you keep arguing points many of which I had no problem with. It is apparent at this point you are not READING or UNDERSTANDING anything I am writing and are just shooting out flame messages.

      I have no problem with N1MM, in fact I like it.

      I have no problem with the lack of an interface to the TS-440, I can use N1MM w/o an interface.

      I dont have a problem with my ZS(6BKW).  It was adequate for a GOTA station and it was up almost 3 times the height of the other SSB antennas.  I could have gotten it higher if I could have driven stakes into the ground for guying.

      I wasn't ranting about the 440 except for pointing out that it didnt have the chops for 40m and 80m.  READ the damn messages.

      etc, etc, etc.

      I do have a problem with a Radio Club putting up worm burner antennas that cant get out. In case you have forgotten, a dipole needs to be close to 1/2 wave above the ground.  When substantially lower, the lobes rise towards the vertical and the antenna becomes a dummy load as stated by other before I got involved in this discussion.  It is also counterproductive to raise a dipole higher than that since the lobes droop below the horizon and then bounce back up to interfere with the desirable lobes.  7' off the ground is ridiculous.

      I am done.  Take me off the reflector.  I can get my interaction with other groups that are more socially adept.  I was looking for a group that can put up antennas and run a field day operation.

      de N7MUT/8

      Date:Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:47:10 -0500
      From:Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...>
      To:Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>
      CC:mwa@...

      The Kenwood TS-440 is about the same vintage as the TS-940. I would try that first. I believe these older Kenwoods were hard coded to 4800,8,N,1 (or maybe 4800,8,N,2).

      If that doesn't work, try "Kenwood Slow". And finally plain old "Kenwood" as the third choice.

      I had my TS-940S/AT computer controlled, but that was back in the CT and RTTY by WF1B days.

      73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

      On6/26/2013 7:52 PM, Hank Greeb wrote:
      Our club has a Kenwood TS 440, still perking along, and which was put to use during FD 2013 @ W8DC. One of our members noted that, if it's fitted with a couple Interface modules, it can interface with a computer.

      We used N1MM networked software this year, but couldn't find the TS-440 (1986 vintage) inthe list of rigs which it supports.

      Does anyone in this august group know whether this ancient rig can be used with N1MM?  The ARRLwriteup in 1986 describes one of the labtechs writing a program in BASIC for his Rat Shack TRS-80 computer and having some functionality.  So, it "might" be possible to find a compatible rig which would allow computer control of the TS-440 with N1MM software.

      Private responses seem most appropriate.

      Thanks for the bandwidth.