Re: [GRARA] Commentary on Field Day by N8XX

    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 27, 2013
      Yeah, Bob:

      I know, but I trust the fact that the crew @ Mike's rig thought about all your effort before, during, and after our Field Day and chose your call by design, not by default.  Without members like you, and all those who devoted time and effort in organizing, setting up, operating, and tearing down, field day would be a bust!  Those who came out for "moral support" and "show of force" are to be commended!

      I won't mention any other names or calls, because I'm sure I'd miss participants.  I only wish we had a complete roster of attendees, helpers, and operators, for duly deserved recognition!

      72/73 de n8xx Hg
      QRP
      >99.44% of the time
      Except during W8DC FD 2013

      On 6/26/2013 10:30 PM, RMoe@... wrote:
      It would appear that Bob Moe, AC8ZX, is the "winner" with the most contacts made while one of the SSB stations was logged in with his call.  Congrats, Bob!  You did good!
      Hank,
      There is no "winner", Everyone that operated Mike's K8EX radio was using the computer hooked to it and it was setup as AC8ZX call and was not changed during field day operations. There were many different operators, and some of us were not excellent contest operators. But we did have a very good and worthwhile time. We need to learn to use N1MM better so we can change operators names and use other program nuances. I am very sorry that some persons felt that we were "amateur" amateurs.
      73, Bob AC8ZX
    • Steven Kaney
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 27, 2013
        Criticism was requested and I gave an honest answer as did several others before I even
        saw the request.  As stated by others, the antennas on two of the radios were in fact dummy
        loads. At 7' above ground, the lobes were nearly vertical and the ERP at the horizontal was
        probably milliwatts).

        What is demonstrated here is:
        1) We cant take honest criticism
        2) by and large we cant demonstrate core ham radio competencies as evidenced by
        the inability to put up effective antennas, the inability to keep RF out of the shack,
        using CB jargon on the air instead of  proper ham jargonthe inability to
        properly setup our logging software, etc.
        3) the inability to learn as evidenced by not being able to apply lessons to next years
        effort or even being able to reproduce one years successes the next year.

        We did well with picking a nice location with clean restrooms and with consuming pizza
        (provided by others).  So lets just go have a picnic and socialize and not waste time setting
        up impotent radio stations, or are we such social misfits that we can't interact without being
        surrounded with toys to take the pressure off?

        Note that there is a wide spectrum between incompetence and being a completely gung
        ho and intollerant full contest station. A 'Radio Club' is supposed to know something about
        radio and be able to demonstrate some core competencies.

        de N7MUT/8

        Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:27:38 -0000
        From: KD8CAN <jm_leys@...>
        Subject: [GRARA] Field Day
        To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

        > Every FD is a learning experience, that is not a bad thing. If
        > everything was perfect, what fun we would miss.
        > We had a great site and the weather was good. There was lots of
        > visitors asking about what was going on.
        > Great friends and food, don't get no better. Life is good. I think
        > our Club is more about having fun then wining contests. Hank did a
        > fine job getting things set up, getting cars moved, etc. Many thanks
        > to Bob Moe for having the do-dads that the rest of us always seem to
        > forget.
        > Myself, I had a positive good time.
        > Jim Leys
        > KD8CAN

        ----- End message from jm_leys@... -----

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 27, 2013
          I love Field Day.
          Sorry I missed this years effort.

          Steve .. k8pz
        • Jim Leys
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 17, 2014
            John and myself are going to meet at the Red Cross garage Wed night at 6:30
            We plan to take 3 tower sections out to the site and try out the base that John made.
            Anyone wishing to help, please feel free to do so. Not sure how much they weight.
            Thanks
            Jim KD8CAN