Field Day, Saturdy, June 24

  • n8xxham
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2013

      Please don't forget field day is this weekend. Come out and operate or just to  visit. We will have 2 voice stations on HF, 1 CW station on HF, one VHF stations on multiple bands, 6 meters to Daylight, (If I remember the list of bands upon which KF8QL can operate) and a 'Get on the Air' voice/CW station under the tutelage of K8DMR..

      Location: Calvin College Ball Fields - official address is 1631 (?) Paris Avenue SE, Grand Rapids, which is on the west side of Paris avenue about 1 city block north of Burton St SE.  The gate @ Paris avenue will be open during our event, BUT the gate near the Prince Conference Center will more than likely be closed.

      We will begin setup as soon as possible after 9 a.m. Saturday, June 24.  Bring a lunche (or there are plenty of restaurants at which to eat within a mile or so of the site).

      Saturday 2 pm: Start operating all stations.

      Saturday around 6 p.m. - The IEEE will be providing a dinner (pizza and trimmings, if memory serves correctly).  We will be joined by some 20, 30, or more IEEE members, so be on your best behaviour! :)  Thanks to Ron, K8DMR,and the local IEEE chapter for  this kind gesture!

      Sunday morning - anyone who has stayed overnight is welcome to breakfast @ the Prince Conference Center.  If like last year, it will be a great breakfast!

      Sunday around Noonish - Start tearing down any stations which are not being used.

      Sunday 2pm: On the air OPERATION ENDS. Tear down everything. We will need plenty of help!!!!

        As many have said, this is NOT a contest, but should be, could be a great Training Operation.  If you haven't operated Field Day for several years, The GOTA (Get on the Air) station is just for you.   If you're familiar with operating - but not in a contest - and prefer SSB, check with the chief op of either of the SSB Stations.  If you like CW, we'll have a setup just for you!  Remember, you do NOT have to be a contest Wizard to participate in Field Day - just come out AND actually make a few contacts!

      Let's plan to have a great time - work some stations, and hope we don't have to dodge too many raindrops and/or lightning bolts!    As with most Field Day's in the past, we have ~50% probability of thunderstorms, high in the mid to high 80's, and high humidity for Saturday and Sunday.  But, there's lots of fun and camaraderie to be had with this event.

      So, come one, come all!

      Except for Field Day, 2013